Thread: Globus sensation, need to swallow twice

Globus sensation, need to swallow twice

Hi there, I'm back again with another worry that has come up today. I was eating my lunch earlier and about half way through a bit of it got caught in the right side of my throat, I wasn't choking as I could breath but I had to swallow 3 or 4 times to get it totally down. It really shook me up and the right side hurt for a few hours after, now I have a Globus sensation, it feels like a lump in the throat where my Adam's apple is and also gives me the feeling of having to swallow twice to get my food down for fear of choking. I can also feel a small amount of mucus at the back but can't cough it up that well.

Is this just my very bad health anxiety? I've had a Globus sensation before which felt like this but I never had to swallow twice to get my food down after it came up. Really worried.

Thanks for any responses in advance

Re: Globus sensation, need to swallow twice

The globus sensation is a really common anxiety related symptom. I had it last week and it is absolutely gone now. Try to keep busy and distract yourself with things that you enjoy and have to concentrate on. I found going for a run really helped me, and I realized that it came and went the more/less I thought about it and worried about it.

I've had that before and the best thing to relieve the anxiety is good old distraction

Thanks for the responses, I was very worried about the swallowing twice thing, but if it's related to anxiety it's okay I guess. I woke up about an hour a go and now when I'm speaking it sort of feels like the right side of the tongue is lagging behind. My speech doesn't sound any different and I can see that it's working if I look at myself talking in the mirror, I can still roll it equally well on both sides and all my facial exercises are the same.

Am afraid I may have had some form of mini stroke in the night, but my speech isn't slurred and my facial muscles all do the same thing still. My tongue just feels odd when speaking like one side of it isn't pulling it's weight.

Thread Information