Thread: Scratched top off of a mole... Panicking

Scratched top off of a mole... Panicking

In a panicky frenzy I was scratching my arm and ended up knocking the top off a mole. It's a flat one and wasn't very big but it bled a bit, it seems to have scabbed over now but literally all I can think about is skin cancer... Simply doing this can't lead to skin cancer right?! It's also bedtime and my mind just won't shut up. Reassurance please :(

Re: Scratched top off of a mole... Panicking

Quote Originally Posted by AmyMJ View Post
    In a panicky frenzy I was scratching my arm and ended up knocking the top off a mole. It's a flat one and wasn't very big but it bled a bit, it seems to have scabbed over now but literally all I can think about is skin cancer... Simply doing this can't lead to skin cancer right?! It's also bedtime and my mind just won't shut up. Reassurance please :(
    No different than a scratch or a cut. It'll heal.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I did this before Christmas due to over vigorously towelling myself dry after a shower... I made a mole on the back of my neck go all crusty and dry and it bled. I was convinced I had cancer and had a huge meltdown, but then I saw my GP who assured me it was just a mole I had knocked. It will heal up, don't worry

If it is dry try putting aqueous cream or a little Vaseline over it. That really helped mine go back to normal.

I did the same last year and saw a dr. He looked under a scope and said not to worry. He explained that skin cancer takes a cell change to start vs a scratch which is a surface injury and nothing at all to do with the cells.

Just leave it alone - don't scratch or irritate it - it'll heal

Thank you guys, I'm feeling much better now. Everything always feels better after a good night's sleep!

Thread Information