Thread: Is shaking/trembling a normal side effect?

Is shaking/trembling a normal side effect?

Hi there,

I was put on sertraline just over 3 weeks ago as I have on-going health anxiety which I can normally deal with but after a few turbulent weeks I had started getting really bad panic attacks and feeling highly stressed.
    Anyway I have taken sertraline twice in the past and it has worked really well (50mg) with maybe a slight worsening at the beginning but nothing too drastic.
    However this time has been different as I have been really ill since starting (I am assuming side effects but maybe a virus too?) and my anxiety has considerably worsened.
    On the 3rd day of taking them, I had a funny turn/panic attack and subsequently spent a week hardly able to move. I was so weak, shaking, sweating, nausea, headaches, dizziness - you name it, I seemed to have it! And when I finally could move around I would get really panicky about leaving home.
    It seemed to improve for a day or two and then I would go backwards again. I am 3 and a half weeks in and had a fairly good few days but then yesterday and today I started to feel a bit dizzy and panicky again. (Not as bad as before but still annoying as I really want to feel normal again!)
    The one thing I am struggling with a bit is the fact that every morning I feel really shaky - particularly my legs and knees - like I'm weak and tired. I'm not sleeping as well as normal so maybe this is why?
    I also seem to get an occasional feeling of trembling all over, again like I'm weak or slightly panicky. Has anyone else experienced this?
    I wasn't getting it before I went on the tablets but am somehow convincing myself that I have an illness that is causing it rather than being the sertraline.

Anyone else get this side effect?
    Thanks - worried I might be told to increase dose as the 50mg isn't enough this time, then I'll have to go through the horrible side effects all over again! It was seriously difficult!! And I'm not out of the woods just yet.

xx

Re: Is shaking/trembling a normal side effect?

Yes shaking and what you describe are normal, My side effects didn't subside for a good 6 weeks it was at the 6 week mark for me to really start feeling the med work, everyone is different mine just took longer, I increased from 50 to 75mg and for about a week had some start up side effects again not as bad, but still uncomfortable. just keep taking the meds and slowly you will have less side effects and more good days than bad. the nausea was the worst for me and was the last to go as well as the insomnia, I had the shakes for about two weeks and horrible sweats and extreme agitation and impatience. It all slowly went away ... Keep going and remember what you are striving for and the end result is worth the horrible start up side effects, sert saved me but it was hell getting there. Just get lots of bed rest and resort to calming methods such as meditation on YouTube or perhaps a Xanax until the sert starts working then you won't need the Xanax because the sert will take away your anxiety. I did not get addicted to the Xanax because after the sert kicked in It was an instant calmness. I still have Xanax on hand if I get a blip but the sert does the job now.

Thread Information