Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GP waiting times

GP waiting times

I'm just wondering how long everyone else has to wait to see their GP?

I've just made an appointment, not until a week tomorrow!

Most times I have been to the GP I have had to wait upwards of 5 days, usually a week +, and that is normally to see a locum doctor.

Is this abnormal and a cause for complaint?

Hi Russ,

If you feel it is Urgent to see your gp, i would ring them back, most GPs surgerys (i know mine does) will keep emergency Appointments spare for late afternoon the same day. Also if you ring as soon as the surgery opens, sometimes they can fit you in the same day due to cancellations.
    I have been to see my GP today also, made a appointment over a week ago was the only time they could fit me in, and as i didnt feel it was that urgent i waited.
    I can understand your frustration though hun. its along time to wait.

Hope that helps.

Love

Andrea
    xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

hi russ
    i,ve just changed doctors surgery,as i too had to wait for a long time to see a doctor!my new one is great,you just phone on the day that you want youre appointment and they get you in!
    could you maybe change your surgery?i know what a pain it is having to wait such a long time
    take care
    rach x

hi russ, that seems like a long time to wait to me, but i guess it depends on your particular problem.

at my gp's, they do both appointments and a drop in clinic. so if you have a long term general problem that isnt urgent you can make an appointment for a couple of weeks time, but if you have something more urgent you can phone in the morning and make an appointment for the same day - this is not just for emergencies. however, if you do this you cannot choose which doctor you see. maybe your gp does the same sort of thing - if you explain to them that you need to see someone sooner then they may be able to do that?

mag

Hi there, my practice has also changed to a new system. If you phone in early enough in the morning eg 8.30am you get an appointment the same day. This has been a godsend for me.x

sheree ritchie

Hi Russ,at my surgery,it takes along time to get an appointment like yours.But if its urgent you phone at 8.30am and the triage nurse calls you back,she will then decide if you need to see her or a gp and you get a same day appointment.
    if it is urgent we have to see the gp that is available and sometimes its a locum.If you want your own gp you usually have to wait.

Ellen XX

The practice I use is fantastic. You can see any doctor for a routine appt within 48 hours, occasionally that might not be your own doctor. My doctor only works two days a week though so I sometimes see a different one. You can also phone at 8.30am and get an appt for the same morning if it's urgent (with own doctor if they are working that day) or phone at 2pm and get an urgent afternoon appt that day. We can also phone and ask the doctor to call back and have a chat on the phone instead of going in and then they can decide if they need to see you.

Lisa

I am very lucky and hope they don't change the system at our Dr's.

My surgery is only a small place and is appointment only but you can usually get an appointment the following day or the same day if really lucky.

But everyone at our surgery is allowed to use another bigger surgery 4 miles away which operates a 'drop in and wait' system. Brilliant!

every gps practce is different - my old one had terrible waiting times

i moved house and was allocated a new GP practice and they are fantastic. Normallty get a routine appt with my chosen doc within 3 days. Emergencies - phone in at 8.30 for that day appt 0r in extreme cases just pop in and take a seat and a doc will see you in about 15 mins. Only had to use this once. They are also very good at speaking to you over the phone if you are not sure about something or want to check about meds, etc. A godsend compared with my last practice.

........life is for living not just for surviving

Thanks for the comments guys.

I have tried everything everyone suggested and still nothing.

I say I'm suffering chest pains and they tell me to go to A&E, yet A&E have told me to go to the GP!

I guess I will just have to wait, I have considered writing to my MP to express my concern. Believe it or not, the last time I was at A&E I heard another patient telling the reception it was the same surgery who had also sent him to A&E because they were full!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information