Thread: citalopram versus kava kava???

citalopram versus kava kava???

Hello all,

My doctor has just prescribed citalopram but I haven't started taking them yet because the list of side effects is horrendous, and they were common side effects!! To be honest, having anxiety is more appealing than having insomnia, tremors, blurred vision, nausea and sexual problems etc. I asked my doctor whether they were similar to Paxil (as I watched that documentary of horror stories about that med), and he had never heard of Paxil! So my faith in this doctor is not very high.

I have also ordered some kava kava online (yes I know the risks) because I only want to take the citalopram as a last resort. I'm taking valerian but I think I need something stronger.

Does anyone have any comments on either citalopram or kava kava? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    h-lo.

Hi,
    I dont know about citalopram as I dont takeit but I do have a bottle of Kava Kava tablets . I only take them as a last resort as they can apparently cause liver damage. I think they are brill at controlling anxiety but need to be used with care.
    julie x

Whatever happens I'll handle it !

Thanks for your advice. The kava kava that I have ordered hasn't arrived yet but I'm really looking forward to trying it. I'll definitely be careful though!!!

Thanks again.

Hello
    I was put on Citalopram 4 years ago for depression and it woked eventually weaning myself off it last summer (down to 10mgs a day). Sadly another episode of depression returned at the end of last September - back on 40mg Citalopram. Felt worse and worse, couldn't sleep so GP prescribed Zopiclone then Amitriptylene (?) then Temazepam (the chemical cosh). Just before Christmas GP 'tried me' om Prozac whcih, in five days, turned me from an anxious person into a very anxiouz zombie. Thought sod it and took nothing ocer Chistmas resuming 10mg Citalopram on December 27th and upped this on GP's advice to 20mg a week ago. Felt worse since then so am now trying Kalms (herbal anti-stress pills) and took a Kava Kava pill (bought before they were banned) and feel less anxious already! I'm still having trouble sleeping - three hours max even with Zopiclone and usually wake between midnight and two laying in a pool of sweat.

Thread Information