Thread: A crush and near-panic attacks

A crush and near-panic attacks

Hi all,

so glad to be here. I am 23 years old and had my first panic attack when I was about 19. I am happy to say that with meditation, taking things slower, growing up and building up my confidence, my panic attacks haven't appeared in about 2 years!

But now recently, whenever I went to uni, I saw this guy and we would have eye contact (oh God, I must sound like a teenager, I know I do, but I can't help it), and now I would really just like to go up and talk to him because he seems shy too (but then again he may simply look at a lot of girls?! oh God I overthink) but even when he is just somewhere near and I see him (and it does happen sometimes as we live close to each other and see each other on a regular basis), I get so shaky my legs actually shake and I can't look at him anymore. If I have friends around me I feel OK but when I'm by myself... I'd really like to go up and talk to him briefly in the next few days. But what if he has a girlfriend, and I talk him up and it will be so embarrassing or what if he thinks I am a loon? I know I think too far into the future, haha.. I am aware of that, but when I am in that situation then my head goes crazy.

If it was just a normal person, I wouldn't mind and would feel perfectly fine.

With my former ex-boyfriend, I would be so anxious and panicky in the beginning that I couldn't kiss him until I got to know him really well because I felt so sick I'd puke (very good feeling).

Anybody have any thoughts? I guess I need to work on my confidence again, because what do I have to lose, he may think I'm a fool if I talk to him, but it's not like I'm asking him to marry me.

I'd really just go up and talk to him and be proud of myself!

Thank you, all

Julie

/ Forgot to say: I get palpitations really bad and I just want to run, like it's almost like with the panic attacks I used to have, but I can control it and not let them break out now. Thanks for reading

Re: A crush and near-panic attacks

You have the perfect opportunity to talk to him! When you see him, just go say hi, tell him your name, and ask him how long he has been living in your area. It is just small talk, and I think it will take the initial edge off for you.

What do you have to lose? What do you have to GAIN?

Re: A crush and near-panic attacks

Thank you, evanruden. I just feel so stupid and millions of thoughts get into my head and I start palpitating really fast and have difficulty breathing because I have obsessive thoughts over what could go wrong... while I really have nothing to lose but just to gain something: even if I'm rejected, at least I overcame my anxiety.

I say that now, but we will see if I will actually go through with it once I am in the same situation again.... fingers crossed...

Thread Information