Thread: Medical induced panic attacks and anxiety.. Please help.

worrying symptoms / illness anxiety. Worried, please help or advise.

Anxiety is quite possibly the most deliberating thing I've ever had to deal with, I've always been slightly anxious and stressed easily but it got progressively worse when I lost one of my friends suddenly at 23 in a car accident, in 2009. It shook me up, made me realise just how fragile life is and after that I've had problems with keeping my anxiety levels down.

Around four years ago I started to get a burning sensation around my right shoulder blade, it was particularly bad if I'd have a bad day or did anything overly strenuous. I put it down to a pulled muscle or something but it got progressively worse to the point that I feel it every day now. It's also spread to the other side of my back and feels almost like a cramping sensation like my joints are constantly knotted together, I also have pains occasionally around my sternum in the middle of my chest and along the bottom of my right ribs. I also occasionally get a tight sensation like a band is wrapped round the bottom of my rib cage.

Just before Christmas 2014 I developed quite a nasty chest infection which left me with no energy, I was practically bed bound for 10 days and eventually I got better with the help of anti-biotics prescribed by my GP. Shorty after my chest infection got better I noticed that I had digestive problems, it started with the feeling of being constantly hungry, even after I'd eat a meal.. My stomach churned loudly and I can only describe the feeling as if my stomach was eating away at itself, I also had severe nausea, bloating, and flatulence. After a week of these symptoms I went back to my GP and he thought it was just a case of bad indegestion and gave me a proton pump inhibitor called Lanzoprazole, during the first week of taking them I noticed my anxiety was increasing. (Hot & cold sweats, inability to sleep, constant worry, stress). It got that bad that on the 7th January I was convinced I was dying and went to A&E at my local hospital. When there a doctor examined me and told me my symptoms sounded like I had Cholecystitis (Inflammed Gallbladder) I had bloods taken, an IV line inserted into my hand and was admitted to a ward. 6 hours later a surgeon came to speak to me and informed me my bloods had come back with no serious abnormalities and only a slight increase in WCC (White cell count) and it was nothing to worry about, he was happy to send me home.
    I was told to return to the hospital the next afternoon for an ultrasound scan on my gallbladder, liver, kidneys and spleen. All came back normal. No gallstones / kidney stones found, and no inflammation. I was sent home with two lots of anti-biotics aswell as buscopan to take for 5 days.

I noticed that my stomach problems have since slightly improved but now my GP thinks I may have MS symptoms and on Friday (23rd Jan '15) I was sent for an MRI scan of my brain and thoracic spine, when I turned up to the hospital I was a nervous wreck, I was put in the MRI machine and within 60 seconds I was hyperventilating and screaming to get out. Luckily the technician was lovely and got me out in no time.

I've now got another booked in for the 5th February and been told to get a dose of Diazapam from my GP beforehand to help with my nervousness but I'm pretty much already convinced I won't be able to go through with it even with the sedative.
    This brings me up to where I am now, 3.05am lying awake in bed for the 5th night in a row worrying about the MRI, worrying about the outcome of the test, Worried that there's something wrong.

Any illness I get, my mind tells me it's something serious and then in turn I start looking up symptoms online which I know is never a good thing, I start convincing myself I've got cancer or some other life threatening disease. Then the vicious circle comes round again and I start regretting that I haven't had any children yet and that I've not done a great deal with my life and it triggers an attack.. It's almost like I give myself a death sentence without even getting a diagnosis. It's awful.
    My GP tried to put my mind at rest and told me that the likelihood of my back problems being something life threatening is so slim because I've had it for so long, for some reason I don't believe him, like nothing will convince me, that's why in a way I disparately need to get through this MRI, I need answers, even if the answers could potentially scare the hell outta me. I think the unknowing is worse..

I wish I could just switch off and enjoy my life again but recently I can't seem to do that, things I used too enjoy now give me no pleasure and I find it a struggle to even get out of bed in the morning.
    This is now greatly effecting all aspects of my life, I've become distant with my friends and family, my relationship with my partner is strained, I'm having trouble sleeping and I'm losing weight. I don't know where to turn or what to do.
    Last edited by Tammylee; 27-01-15 at 04:02. Reason: Spelling error.

Re: Medical induced panic attacks and anxiety.. Please help.

Hi TammyLee are you having any kind of therapy to address your anxiety? Maybe your doctor could refer you for Psychotherapy, CBT or IPT which I am sure would be a great help to you.

I was doing a programme that's fairly new to the UK called Stepps. (it's an American made programme) it addresses coping stratagys for BPD, group therapy based. I was unfortunately differed to the next group which doesn't start yet as I missed so much because of my psychical health being an issue.

I have never had a MRI scan myself but my son and daughter both have and they said it was no where near as bad as they had thought. Diazepam with help to relax you.
    I am sorry you are having to wait a while for more therapy. Different areas have longer waiting lists, hopefully it won't be too long.

Thank you, well it's a week to the day for my 2nd attempt at the
    MRI, I'm still absolutely petrified, more so with the outcome.. This sure is making me miserable now, waking up at regular intervals during the night panicking, my appetite has gone and I cant relax.
    I have an appointment with my GP in the morning, I'm going to discuss my fears with him and see what he suggests.

Thread Information