Thread: Borderline smear test results .....terrified

Unhappy Borderline smear test results .....terrified

Hi I'm new to this forum but I'm 24 yrs old and I suffer terribly with health anxiety I constantly think I have cancer .....so as you can imagine getting an abornormal smear result didn't help....my dr just explained on the phone I have nothing to worry about but I am being referred to a colposcopy clinic which sounds scary,he did say I can reassure you it's not cancer,but I am still so worried I have currently taken two diazepam to calm me down after that phonecall,can anyone reassure me with their experiences ,I'd be so so so greatful. Thank you ......laura

Re: Borderline smear test results .....terrified

Same thing happened to me years ago, I was very scared just like you are right know. I can say you are in good hands and you have to remember that the Pap test aka. Smears are life saving tests that's why you go regularly, catch anything early on and they keep an eye on it to keep you healthy, Hun! Try not to stress, I know it's almost impossible but I can say from my own experience you will be ok, I went through what u are going through, it's scary but just be glad you got the smear to catch anything that's there and you will be treated and in good hands! Hope this had helped you. Hugs!

Hello, please don't be terrified, it's really not a big deal. I went through the same thing in September 2014 and it was the reason why my HA started, I just couldn't deal with it. Now I'm looking back and thinking why did I get so scared? I let HA take over and now it's ruining my life and I don't want to see the same happenning to anyone else.
    Borderline means the changes are very very subtle, it's not even mild. Maybe you don't even have cell changes, they just want to do a colposcopy because you are hpv positive.
    I had borderline changes and hpv, I had a colposcopy and the biopsy results confirmed that I have no pre-cancerous cells but there is endometriosis in my cervix.
    Don't be worried at all, borderline means you DEFINITELY don't have cancer. Hope I could help x
    Last edited by popejoan; 28-01-15 at 00:32.

Thank you so much guys you helped me have a better night sleep,gonna go down to the doctors today to chat with him and let him explain things better hopefully that will help.Knowing you two had the same experiences helps so much thank you xxxxxx

Good to know how you get on. I also had a borderline smear test result last week, but tested negative for HPV so I've been told by my doctors it is nothing to worry about and in fact don't have to go back for smear for 3 years. Still nervous, but sounds like borderline result doesn't mean much and going to the clinic will just be about keeping an eye on things x

Your welcome!! I hope u had a good sleep!

Hi I had two borderline smears in a row way back in 2007. It was a really scary time and I got myself into a right old state. Turns out I did have precancerous changes which were treated easily. I know many women who have had similar and all are fine. Xxx

thank you guys you have helped me so much...I had my letter through today and it says I have high risk HPV positive which sounds so scary to me but I'm going to do some research to calm myself down before I go for my colposcopy .....thank you guys again xxx

I had the exact same thing happen. My pap came back abnormal and I was so convinced that was it for me that I stopped eating. I couldn't eat and lost a ton of weight. I, too had high risk hpv. I had the laser treatment done in October and just got checked out yesterday. They gave me the all clear and I am 39. My doctor says that the majority of girls in their 20's clear it all on their own. Also, after this experience I discovered that about 80% of all my friends had something at one point and NOBODY had cancer at any point. It's so scary but the more you know, the less scary it really is.

Thank you so much you have eased my mind,it's awful worrying but I can't help it but knowing I'm really not the only one and I fact it's quite common it helps .

Thread Information