Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Self medicating / buying online

Self medicating / buying online

I have read a few posts from people enquiring about buying Diazepam online as their GP refuses to prescribe it although they have been prescribed it in the past and found it to help, me being one of them. I have also read many replies from people saying what a bad idea this is, and should try other GP's even change practice, and I would definitely agree these are things you should try and do work for some people, me not being one of them. I am fully aware of the concerns GP's have over prescribing benzodiazepines as they are very addictive and for certain people can cause more harm than good. As everyone is different and suffers to different extremes a drug that works well for one person may not for another. I have suffered with anxiety for 18 years, I'm now 40 and have tried numerous anti-depressants, and other medications that just didn't help and I would turn to alcohol when I was having a severe episode of anxiety and panic attacks which led to me getting pancreatitis and losing a third of it. After that I was told that if I continued to drink I would be dead within a few years, so knowing the only drug that had ever helped was Diazepam, I started to order online. I tried a few sites before I found one I trusted and now responsibly medicate myself and have been a great deal happier.

---------- Post added at 06:21 ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 ----------

I would just like to add that I did try several GP's and beg for Diazepam and try alternative medications such as pregabalin which I found to help slightly at the highest dose but my GP started to lower and lower the dose before going down this route. And as for knowing what I'm actually getting, one order was seized and tested by customs. I also informed my GP that I was buying them online.

Re: Self medicating / buying online

I'm intrigued as to what your Gps response was at you buying Diazepam online? Do you take a high dose of it a day?

Whilst its possession offence is waived under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, importation comes under 'trafficking'.

Were you lucky enough to get away from prosecution by customs? If they establish it again justin, you could end up in some trouble there.

Whilst the Medicines Act 1968 possession offence is waived by the MDA which I would expect tells your GP that he/she can do little about it, admitting to importing it becomes a criminal offence and I would be concerned that they would have to report it.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 30-01-15 at 07:43.

My GP didn't have a great deal to say about it to be honest. He'd already explained his reasons for not wanting to prescribe them and we'd discussed the subject many times before. He obviously advised me against it though. I don't take it every day, when I do I take 2mg up to 2 or 3 times a day depending on how bad my anxiety is. As for the legal aspect, I now order from a site that post from within the UK. When I was ordering from abroad and had an order seized (60 x 10mg) I just received a letter saying they had seized it and if I wanted to claim it I would have to go to court and argue my entitlement to import them.

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

I'd like to add to that, that just knowing I've got them there if I need them is enough to stop my anxiety. In the past I would start to get anxious and panic that I was going to get anxious and panic, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, I know what you mean about just having anything around that could stop them developing further, its a comfort, even if its a daily dosage of regular medication.

Sounds like customs aren't very interested in clamping down then.

Is that a foreign site that posts within the UK or a UK site? If a UK site, they may get taken down if they get reported as they are supplying without the prescription but if a foreign site I don't know what they do other than arrest the local representatives (which they would do for a UK site as well).

Just protect yourself as much as you can Justin.

Its a horrible situation to find yourself in. Is there no other medications you can try?

my gp gives me 14 x 2mg every 3 months im a big lad so even 2 doubled up only really makes me have a good sleep there gone within no time

and I can buy them from the uk please tell me more

I'd be concerned that they are the genuine item and not something mixed with something nasty, like Rat Poison

I thought it was illegal to buy prescription drugs in UK even if they are brought from another country, ie imported.
    Am I wrong then, also I too would be worried they are cut with another substance, if your Dr want prescribe them for you I would say he doesn't consider it to be a good idea.
    Can't believe that a UK gp would condone you sourcing them this way either.

I'm not saying this because I have to but because I believe it. Buying prescription medication without a valid prescription is a really bad idea. You have no idea if they are genuine (there are some outstanding fakes out there) and there is a reason why your GP won't prescribe them. He will have your health and well-being as his main consideration when deciding this.

It's not up to me to make judgements and you are naturally entitled to do what you believe to be right. I'm just advising that I believe there are better solutions to your anxiety and I would make this the focus of discussions with your GP.

Take care

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandriaUK View Post
    I thought it was illegal to buy prescription drugs in UK even if they are brought from another country, ie imported.
    Am I wrong then, also I too would be worried they are cut with another substance, if your Dr want prescribe them for you I would say he doesn't consider it to be a good idea.
    Can't believe that a UK gp would condone you sourcing them this way either.
    Hi Alexandria,

POM's are classed as illegal without a prescription from a doctor and must be dispensed by a licenced pharmacy. However, part of The Medicines Act is waived by the later MDA (which is a more poweful Act aimed at illegal activity as opposed to licencing hence carries greater powers) where the drug is mentioned on the MDA list. Since Diazapam is on that list, the charge for possession becomes subject to what the MDA states and in the case of tranquilisers (except 2 forms) they have chosen not to prosecute for possession.

Selling them or importing comes under 'trafficking' hence carries higher penalties. In the case of tranquilisers, if you have a sufficient quantity to justify supply or importing, then you will be prosecuted. However, in Justin's case it looks like customs are not bothered about criminal importing of things like this Class C, possibly under certain volumes, so have chosen to send a letter requesting he prove there is a legitimate reason for importation eg if he is a licenced distributor he can prove he has been licenced to import this medication inline with his terms in The Medicines Act.

Its not illegal to buy prescription drugs remotely in another country, subject to their local laws, but it is illegal to import it. Some companies try to get around this by having their offices abroad but a distribution centre in the UK but it makes little difference if its covered under the MDA anyway as thats criminal law, as opposed to regulation of substances. The Medicines Act will bind them to the need for a licence eg a pharmacy has to be registered, and with that comes a set of t&c's as defined in The Medicines Act which they can be prosecuted under if they breech them.

You see websites selling thinks like GABA or DHEA popping up in the UK from time to time, both of which are no the MDA list, and once they are reported they can be prosecuted. It does seem though that these are areas that the police are less interested in since its easy enough to monitor & trace them.

There is a thread on the Natural Remedies board that Tish raised to recommened DHEA. She mentioned that it was recommended by someone within an NHS role, might have been a gyno, and that NHS person was using it despite is being on the MDA list making possession illegal! Tish was advised to ask her GP about it who refused as it would be 'off label'. It does make you wonder about some of these substances and what the general attitidues are of those within the NHS towards them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information