Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Self medicating / buying online

Re: Self medicating / buying online

Quote Originally Posted by SarahH View Post
    So Terry are we concluding that what the OP is doing is "illegal"?

Sarah
    Without a prescription, yes. However, there is nothing in The Medicines Act that I can see which says our doctors can't write a prescription for someone abroad. It certainly authorises them to send it abroad or a pharmacy and the MHRA advice seems to be to include the prescription in the package so customs don't seize it. I don't know if a doctors BMA licence covers this though but its otherwise going to be some form of directive from the NHS, but who knows about the private ones if it is.

If you just buy it though without a doctor involved, which I thought was the usual scenario, then whilst the MHRA say they don't care as long as its for personal use (a contradiction of The Medicines Act! but they seem to be basing it on allowing enforcement by customs???) it wouldn't matter is the drug in question is in the MDA or MDR because they override the MA anyway. So, customs or the police are free to search/seize under criminal legislation and the relevant customs Act which is mentioned in the MDA.

The UN Convention seems to require local governance, although I've only read a summary not the the actual thing, and if some countries are less concerned about their doctors being what appears to be unethical or have lax standards, its between those that enforce that convention and the country in question.

So, I am still not sure on the OP's situation with the doctor and whether if it had a prescription in the package whether they would have released it.

If customs tested it and found it to be counterfit though, it would be for the MHRA who seem to be interested in that although its obvious its more about stopping them getting onto the street than about anything else.

So, because I just can't find anything, I've taken the decision to ask The Home Office via their email route. Its worth understanding about DHEA (which can be made from a plant base as well so does it even cover that?), GABA and Melatonin as well as they are used in treatment for some of the things we go through and I've seen people discussing them on here from time to time.

Hopefully they will clarify things.

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mikewales View Post
    An interesting case though would be if they did. They would have to get the tablets tested, and it could well turn out they are chalk powder, aspirin or something completely legal !
    Very true. Then it would fall back under The Medicines Act which has some clauses about the quality of imports and the MHRA say they owuld be interested in ever personal use quantities if they were counterfit so I suspect they could push for prosecution from their Act although I imagine they are more interested in the source, shutting them down with their counterparts in other countries and destroying them so they don't hit the street.

Exclamation Re: Self medicating / buying online

Don't buy Diazepam online. You don't know what you're getting, these sites are selling fake Diazepam, Zopiclone, Xanax, Ambien etc. I should know, I was an idiot who did buy some. If you're not bothered about you're health, then maybe this will: I used 2 sites selling them, and then had my bank details stolen. I only ever use Ebay and Amazon to buy things online. So it's a bit odd that the 3 times I bought from them, my account got hacked 3 times shortly after. Don't trust them. They say it's safe and your details are encrypted but they're NOT.
    Also, they are usually out of date fakes, cost too much and don't work.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information