Thread: worried about ALS

worried about ALS

Hi everyone, I am newbie here. Need your urgent support and advice. Here goes my problem,

I am 35, happily married with kids. Working in a corporate company. Have a very stressful Job and past couple of months have been very stressful.

I have always been a type A personality. I mostly think about negatives things and anything hardly gets out of my mind. Last year in Oct 2014, my right index finger started twitching. I blamed my over use of tablet and ignored it. this was not the first time I felt twitching as I had occasional twitching in legs and eyelids but really never thought about it. for some reason, I consulted internet and came up with ALS. ever since, I am living with this fear daily. Consulted a Neuro who said it's anxiety and did a routine physical examination. I tried to reassure but nothing. Did an EMG of upper limbs. It turned out to be Clean.

In Dec, I felt a pain in left shoulder that was radiating down to bicep and arm. I was again panicked and consulted anothere doctor. He was of the opinion that it might be due to my posture and long hours of working in front of computer Or simply stress that has stiffened my neck muscles. I do feel pain in shoulders and neck specially after waking up and during the day.

Now, I don't know what to do. Since morning, again feeling pain in left deltoid, funny feeling in arm and hand.. specially Thumb. out of my fear, I lifted dumbbells just to check my hand strength which is I think pretty normal but I just can't seem to get this fear out of me. I think about it and move my fingers that eventually hurt but it's a vicious circle.

I hope you guys can give me some tips how to deal with it. Thanks

Re: worried about ALS

Quote Originally Posted by Amir79 View Post
    I am 35, happily married with kids. Have a very stressful Job and past couple of months have been very stressful.

I had occasional twitching in legs and eyelids I consulted internet and came up with ALS. ever since, I am living with this fear daily. Consulted a Neuro who said it's anxiety and did a routine physical examination. I tried to reassure but nothing. Did an EMG of upper limbs. It turned out to be Clean.
    Hello Amir, I'm currently going through the same fear myself. ALS fears are ruining my life. I don't want others to go through same fear as I know how horrible it can be so I would like to help you and reassure you.

I want you to focus on your sentences above. First of all, you are 35, the chances of having ALS under the age of 38 is less than 1 in 1000000. You have a stressful job and stress can cause twitching an aches.
    You said you had occasional twitching. In ALS twitching comes after clinical weakness and muscle atrophy and once it comes it doesn't go away so there is no occasional in ALS. ALS symptom get progressively worse and they don't wax and wane.

Never ever google. You are not a doctor, you misinterpret what you read on the internet and you only make yourself panic. Definitely stay away from google.

You saw a neurologist and had an EMG. If you had ALS it would show up on EMG and a neurologist knows when they see someone with ALS. I just had a referral to neurologist and I'm gonna have to wait approximately 4 months to see one, I don't think he/she will send me for an EMG.

Your neuro said it's anxiety and EMG came back clear. Isn't it ime for you to leave this fear behind and focus on your anxiety?

Hope I could help.

Welcome to NMP. Sorry but I don't see any in your post: what symptoms of ALS do you have?

I had convinced myself I had als my twitching was horrendous ...please inbox me if you need reassurance I too am a mum 2 2 girls....busy working life. I'd like to help you.....

I will mail u tomorrow...positive thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by pepsi View Post
    I will mail u tomorrow...positive thoughts
    thanks!

Hi fellow twitchies

I am a 23 year old female, in need of some reassurance, amazing how many people are on here with the twitching symptoms along with aches and pains! Why must anxiety cause the scariest symptoms EVER?

I also experience aches everywhere, cramps mostly in arms and hands and legs! Twitching everywhere.

I have had three doctors tell me that it is anxiety related - they don't seem worried. I have a neuro appointment scheduled in a month but I need help getting through this month.

IF anyone would like to talk and reassure me, please please message me

Thanks and best,

Lilly
    xx

Lilly, you said you've been to 3 doctors and they didn't seem worried. I watched almost all the videos of ALS patients on youtube. Believe me, if you had ALS those 3 doctors would seem worried. I twitch everywhere too but ALS twitches are pretty much localized at first and ALS doesn't present itself with twitching without clinical weakness, muscle atrophy and hyperreflexia.

Hi Popejoan,

Thank you for your insights, I am trying to keep away from youtube videos and such.

How did you get over this fear ?

Hi Lilly, can't really say I'm 100% over it but feeling much better.

A combination of Citalopram and Propranolol helped me tremendously. Also, although I don't recommend, watching the videos showed me that if someone has ALS there is no doubt, there are no vague symptoms. Also, I don't want to waste my time over something I might or might not have. I'd rather live my life and deal with it when it's 100% certain. ALS has no known cure, when you have it that's it, there is nothing anyone can do.
    When I had cancer fears I always thought that when I'm diagnosed it was gonna be too late because in cancer, early diagnosis saves lives. But in this case early diagnosis doesn't save you so why worry?
    I still have twitches and cramps, especially in my hands, arms and chest. They are annoying and worry me but I try not to focus on them.

Thread Information