Thread: CBT Therapy

CBT Therapy

I start CBT therapy soon. Can some tell me will it help with my anxiety issues?

Re: CBT Therapy

CBT does help people, but not everyone and to maximise your chances you need to be willing to commit to practicing it otherwise you may gain less. It will teach you about how your thoughts, feelings, emotions and physical sensations all link together, feed off and trigger each other. It can also include Behavioural Activation to get you planning in more tasks (commonly used with depression) and to habituate to pass beyond panic/anxiety with such as Exposure Response Prevention (ERP) therapy.

Its not easy, it involves challenging things that are worrying you and in the case of ERP, you have to put yourself in places that cause anxiety for X minutes in order to let the panic calm down so that its slightly easier each time.

So, its depends what you need it for in terms of how it will be applied.

Its not a cure all though and its aimed more for less complex cases.

But its going to be better than nothing Dan. I found mine was limited in success, partly because of not engaging with it all because my obsessions were preventing me from moving forward, but I found myself attacking some of my goals afterwards.

Also, look into Mindfulness. My therapist put me onto it and it did more than the CBT did, especially for my OCD.

Thread Information