Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and health anxiety - please read

Alcohol and health anxiety - please read

Hello everyone,

Some of you know how I suffer from health anxiety badly. It started 5 months ago and since then I avoided alcohol most of the time. I did drink on occasion but it was always one or two glasses of wine and I always made sure not to get drunk.

I was feeling better for a week. Last week I felt almost normal. I could see things rationally. My ALS fear got better and I could concentrate on my studies and my life.

On Saturday, I went to the Gym for the first time and although I got muscle aches afterwards, I was feeling well. I was almost feeling positive. It was a big step as I don't know how to relax and feel positive.

I stayed in with my boyfriend and we started drinking. I got carried away and ended up soo drunk. I even smoked a cigarette and I promised myself 5 months ago I would never ever smoke again. As I have OCD I feel like something bad's gonna happen to me because I broke my promise.

I woke up with the worst hangover ever yesterday. I felt soo weak and my health anxiety got out of control today. I convinced myself again that I have ALS and I realized I can't open the bathroom door with my left index finger. I'm in panic right now, health anxiety came back with vengeance. I can barely think clearly now. I've never felt this bad. My whole body is weak but mostly my arms. They are shaking. I feel like crying. I have butterflies in my stomach and trouble breathing.

If you're reading this please please avoid drinking. It will make you feel worse and you will have a horrible relapse. Alcohol must be avoided at all times.

Re: Alcohol and health anxiety - please read

Anxiety is the reason why I also don't drink anymore, I occasionally have one glass of wine, that's it, I hate the feeling of being drunk and it makes my anxiety sky high, also the hangover isn't to pleasent to deal with either, it's been over a year since I had a propper drink, I didn't even drink nye except one maybe two but that's it...

Anxiety and alcohol is never a good combo

Nope, and I knew that. I just got carried away, I thought I got better, I wanted to feel normal but it backfired pretty badly. I cried in my boyfriend's arms today, I feel like another panic attack is very close. My jaw is tense, I'm too shaky, I'm soo scared of ALS. I will never drink that much again, never.

This is a good point. My health anxiety has gotten worse because of severe stress in the work/financial front. As a result I have been drinking wine almost every night for months. Normally one or two glasses so I don't get hammered or anything.

But you just reminded me that whilst alcohol definitely relaxes me at the end of the day, and calms down the anxiety in the moment, it can make it worse the rest of the time.

Going to cut down and see what happens!

I hope it work out well for you. I learned my lesson and definitely not drinking more than 1-2 glasses of wine, maybe once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by popejoan View Post
    I learned my lesson and definitely not drinking more than 1-2 glasses of wine, maybe once a month.
    Might as well not do it at all then.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

That's the aim, I just wrote it as I don't want to break my promise again. Going to a gig next week and I already decided to stick with water

Quote Originally Posted by popejoan View Post
    That's the aim, I just wrote it as I don't want to break my promise again. Going to a gig next week and I already decided to stick with water
    Gig? Musician? Back in the day on the road?.... ohhhh I could tell you some war stories ~lol~ I'm a total lightweight now. No alcohol at all at my shows.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Haha Oh just a local one here, I even forgot its name, will try to feel normal without the alcohol this time. Just experimenting being normal.

I gave up alcohol too. I was drinking pretty heavily and it was messing me up more than I realised. That's one thing I'm grateful to HA for, it stopped me drinking from worrying about what I was doing to my body! Honestly, you don't miss it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information