Thread: Muscle spasm in throat

Muscle spasm in throat

Hey all

I have had a muscl spasm in my throat all day and I feel as though I am struggling to breath. I am really scared right now, is this just anxiety or something more sinister

Re: Muscle spasm in throat

I am currently having exactly the same thing. The out breath is what gets me. I don't know what happens but it feels as I'm breathing out I've run out of air so I panic and have to breathe in deeply quickly. Also really dizzy and keep having random pains in my chest and head.
    Does the muscle spasm in your throat prevent you from swallowing for a few seconds, and hence you also can't take in air? That's what it's felt like for me and doctors have always looked at me like I'm crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice1 View Post
    I am currently having exactly the same thing. The out breath is what gets me. I don't know what happens but it feels as I'm breathing out I've run out of air so I panic and have to breathe in deeply quickly. Also really dizzy and keep having random pains in my chest and head.
    Does the muscle spasm in your throat prevent you from swallowing for a few seconds, and hence you also can't take in air? That's what it's felt like for me and doctors have always looked at me like I'm crazy.
    Yes that is exactly how I feel and there are times when it has woken me up. I can't sleep due to fear of this muscle spasm in my throat. I can physically see it and feel it. I am so afraid right now that it is something other than anxiety as I do have spine problems and two swollen lymph nodes in my neck

Quote Originally Posted by LauraWoo84 View Post
    Yes that is exactly how I feel and there are times when it has woken me up. I can't sleep due to fear of this muscle spasm in my throat. I can physically see it and feel it. I am so afraid right now that it is something other than anxiety as I do have spine problems and two swollen lymph nodes in my neck
    I have woken up gasping for breath too, but not due to the swallowing thing.
    I don't feel as scared after I managed to really severely mimic it as far as not being able to breath for a longer period of time than (try it too but it's not pleasant) by trying to swallow my saliva over and over as quickly as I can. Obviously I run out of saliva pretty quickly and hence forth spasms and lack of air ensue. But then I wonder why this happens when I'm not trying.

As for the lack of air. Is yours on and off? Not with long gaps but like you'll have a few minutes where you don't feel out of breath then it starts again?
    I've also had really strong random pains in my upper left back today. So worried about a collapsed lung or cancer or just something that's causing all this.

Thread Information