Thread: When one thing to worry about goes away, another one comes up!

When one thing to worry about goes away, another one comes up!

Doesn't it feel like when ever you have a pain in a part of your body to worry about, and it goes away, another thing to worry about comes up. I mean seriously. I never gt a break. Once ,h knee hurt for a couple weeks, then it went away. Then the next day I get a swollen lymph node to worry about. Then after that gets cleared up you start having stomach pains. It just feels like there's always something in my body that Im worrying about. I just wish I could go a period of time with out something bothering me. Anyone get what I'm saying?

Re: When one thing to worry about goes away, another one comes up!

Same here! As soon as I stopped worrying about my throat problems, they went away, then my gums started aching, then that went away and now I'm dealing with pale stools. It sucks, doesn't it?

So so so true. It's like the anxiety is constantly scanning looking to attach itself to something to make our minds go berserk. I've had so many aches and pains these past two weeks. I don't know where one illness begins and another ends.

I think that is all part of health anxiety because we are always looking and checking for symptoms.

That's exactly how things went for me. At first I thought once my digestion issues would be over, worrying wouldn't be an issue anymore... but there's always something!

But yeah like Frankie just said, I'm pretty sure that's just me being way too much on the lookout for anything out of line.

Fear is always there but the disease always changes according to symptoms or when we have tests and get all the clear we focus on something else because the main problem is the fear itself.

This excellent post from the archives might help.

Quote Originally Posted by itoldyouiwasill View Post
    This is classic symptom shifting. Anxiety doesn't want you to get rid of it, it thrives on fear and uncertainty and knows all the tricks that will allow it to find and maintain a safe haven in your mind and body.

Anxiety needs fear in order to live, the moment you start to accept a specific symptom as being anxiety based and not actually a terminal organic illness you begin to lose the fear and your anxiety will begin to panic.

What will then happen is that your anxiety will change it's tactics and give you another new sensation/symptom to worry about. Yep, last week you had it licked but this new sensation has started the loop all over again.

Symptom shifting is very common and a sure sign that your physical sensations are the mind somatising rather than an underlying physical illness.

all good fun isn't it.

edit: See below, not my words but a useful article.

A perplexing problem faced by most people is that every person's constellation of symptoms is slightly different, although many of the symptoms are the same. The confusing element is that, over time, and even during therapy, a person's physical symptoms may change.

This is many times frightening to the person who doesn't understand what is happening to them. For example, as a part of panic disorder, a person may be plagued by feelings of nausea for a long period of time, enter into therapy, and as the panic attacks are gradually cut off, the nausea disappears -- only to be replaced by a headache that the person is afraid is a brain tumor.

What is really happening here is actually positive. Once the person fully and completely realizes the nausea is simply a symptom that the mind associates with fear and panic, the symptom disappears. In its place another symptom appears -- whatever feels different or out of the ordinary. Then, the process begins again: The catastrophic misinterpretation -- blowing a physical symptom way out of proportion -- and then paying attention to it.And, as we know, the more attention you pay to these symptoms, the bigger they grow and the worse they get.

The person who understands that this will happen is two steps ahead of the game. Panic is very tricky -- it will continue to plague you as long as you let it. In therapy, we learn quickly to expect this symptom shifting and then to realize that this is a positive event -- a major symptom has gone away, and a new symptom has appeared. This new symptom is then identified for what it is, and we learn not to pay attention to it. Any of these "new" symptoms are, as a result, not as dramatic and intense. The shorter period of time it takes before you realize that a symptom has shifted and that panic is playing a trick on you, the quicker and easier the symptom will be to deal with and eradicate.

Once the panic attacks are eliminated, and the symptom-shifting starts, a person is well on the way to recovery. Symptom-shifting is a positive element that, when viewed properly, indicates that you are on the road to recovery.

I suffer so much from health anxiety. And like mentioned here, I never get a break as I get older there is always something aching, or symptoms changing in my body. I am soon emotionally exhausted!

Thread Information