Thread: Melatonin to replace Sleeping tablets - any advice please?

Melatonin to replace Sleeping tablets - any advice please?

Hi everyone

I have been taking a sleeping tablet for the past 3-4 weeks, Stilnox(zolpidem), I was using 10mg, and for the last 4 days I have tapered off to 5mg. I want to wean off completely now, but do have a problem falling asleep and staying asleep. I have started drinking more Chamomile tea through the day, as well as a strong cuppa before bedtime.

I have a toddler, and I think over the last 3 and a half years I have conditioned myself to sleep so lightly. My lack of sleep also is a contributing factor to my anxiety and depression.

I have heard about Melatonin and that many are thriving on it - anyone else using it together with Anxiety meds, Escitalopram (Cipralex) in particular?

Thanks xx

Re: Melatonin to replace Sleeping tablets - any advice please?

I have had family members take melatonin. It works for some and not others. I would not use on a cold though as continual use can suppress your bodies production of it.

Have you tried any essential oil treatments to help with depression or anxiety in addition to your medications? Also a change in your diet might be helpful. You maybe it very healthy but have heard of certain foods triggering depression/anxiety or making it worse. I would suggest an elimination diet. Try removing wheat from your diet for a few weeks and see if there is improvements. Then reintroduce it back in and party attention to your body. If all is good I would try dairy next.

There are two types of sleeplessness, one where you have trouble dropping off and the other where you can nod off but are wide awake again a few hours later. I have some melatonin here and it says it's good for those that have trouble getting off to sleep so I haven't tried it yet as my problem is the latter.

Hi Ajalvarez85

I've now come off the sleeping tablet for the last 3 nights now, when starting on the Cipralex, I battled terribly to fall asleep and then I would still wake up through the night, so always had broken sleep, I'm starting to fall asleep easier now, but do drink at least 2 cups of brewed chamomile tea before bed, but again, I'm not staying asleep :( I haven't tried any essential oils yet, the elimination diet sounds interesting, I'm lactose intolerant, but also have a sensitivity to wheat as well. Perhaps I will try that, thanks!

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:02 ----------

Hi Tish

I think my biggest problem is staying asleep, I will wake up for the slightest thing, and then be totally awake. I get so annoyed at myself, but I think years of conditioning myself to sleep light has taken its toll now.

My first advice would be to make sure that when you go bed at night, you make sure your room is as dark as possible. Sleeping in a room with lights on hinders your brain's natural production of melatonin. Switch off anything that is bright or blinks. The first time I stayed over at my ex's house I slept in her living room. When I turned the lights out there were so many devices with bright and/or blinking LED lights I felt like the disco king. Bright, flashing lights are endemic in today's society, every device out there has to look like a Star Trek display panel. You can see the lights on a Virgin Super Hub from outer space. Get them all switched off if you can.

I've heard you shouldn't use a computer intensively for at least two hours before bedtime - something about blue light coming from the screen causing irritability and difficulty falling asleep.

Also maybe try falling asleep listening to relaxing music, something without lyrics or a strong beat, and look for positivity stuff such as Paul McKenna's Change Your Life in 7 Days, all of which are free to listen to on Youtube.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thread Information