Thread: Diazepam withdrawal

Diazepam withdrawal

Hi currently in the process of weaning off diazepam. Weaning at 1/8 of 2mg per week. Was only taking 1 and 1/2 2m tablets a day. Over the last few days I feel terrible. Really bad anxiety like I am having a relapse.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this? I have been on it for over 1 year.

How long does it take to feel better?

Re: Diazepam withdrawal

Hi, Paula, good to see you again!

The thing about withdrawal from the benzodiazepines is that you WILL feel more of everything they are meant to work against (even if they have quit working for you, or didn't work all that well in the first place). They are "minor tranquilizers", therefore you will naturally feel less "tranquil" and more anxious as they are withdrawn. This is normal, and not a sign of a relapse. After complete withdrawal has been achieved, and only then, will you and your doctor be able to discuss how you are really feeling. In no way is anyone able to tell whether their anxiety, extreme or not, is something that needs to be treated, so long as they are in withdrawal from benzodiazapenes. Withdrawal itself will create anxiety, and raise fears against your ability to cope without the pills. These are not valid, they are a product of withdrawal. Once you are free of the pills for a bit, you will know this to be true.

And the old adage is true here, it IS always darkest just before the dawn. I needed inpatient care to get through the last bit, but it didn't take long. I needed a lot of reassurance, and having a caring professional to talk to 24/7 provided that. Also I knew I was safe, medically, against all the fears my mind was telling me about the process. That helped immensely. I got support meetings lined up before going home, and while I still have anxious times (everyone does), I am able to walk through them without using pills. This needs to be your goal! It's amazing, really, and so I am in your corner cheering you on! Do reach out and get some help now. Most people need it, nothing wrong with that.

Keep posting, hun! xo

Hi Marie,

Thanks for replying to me. You totally make sense, but it is so hard. My phychiatrist wants me off them sooner better than later.

Unfortunately it is too hard for rehab for me, don't have the money and have to travel for hours to get to one.

I only have 1/4 tab diazepam to go now. Should be done in two weeks. It is so horrible. I keep telling myself it is the drugs but sometimes the anxiety gets so bad.

Everyone tells me I will feel better once I am off them, but at the moment I really can't see it. Only know that once I am off I don't ever want to touch one again.

Next I am to get off the zoplicone. I have been given sequeol to help with the reduction, doesn't do much but make me tired.

How are you doing? How has winter been? Have you survived ok?

I am Probably the only person who did not taper getting off Benzo's. What I did was stop and wait till it got unbearable then take the full dose and then stop again till it got unbearable and take the full dose again. Periods between dosing got longer, one day, then two days, three, a week till finally I just forgot to take any. All tapering did for me was give me a craving for it and didn't work. I was a four year Ativan addict.(dependent) I used Lemon Balm to extend the off periods and it worked well enough that I grow and dry my own now. Lemon balm use has dropped to once or twice a month now.

What kind of lemon balm did you use ( I see you say you grow your own now ) but when you started - what was the dosage - mg ) and how many times a day, been reading great reviews on this stuff, its also called Melissa leaves - and want stockpile it....some study I just read though said taking more then 400 mg a shot will make anxiety worse- but others who are taking it said they feel the effects right away and it is so calming and no side effects at all.

Yes I grow it in fact it is coming up right now in the flower beds. I grow it because medically you want it straight. Tea bags come with lemon grass and lemon verbena added because Lemon Balm loses it's lemon when dried. Try to find it straight or grow some in the flower bed. Try to find one cup coffee filters that hang in your cup. They come forty to a pack. One Tsp per cup and don't steep long or it gets bitter. Pure stuff does anyway. Use that same bag for three cups steeping longer each time. And yes, best not to exceed three cups because it will calm you to the point of confusion and that is what causes the anxiety. It is very good for GAD and eating disorders or upset stomach symptoms. I have some that has been growing for five years.

It works in the same way as a benzo, working at the synapses but selectively where as other plants just make you sleepy.
    And yes there are no side effects or withdrawal symptoms.
    Last edited by Davit; 04-04-15 at 21:05. Reason: Forgot something

Thread Information