Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muffled ear driving me nuts

Thumbs down Muffled ear driving me nuts

Hi guys

Had problems with my ears for months now, had Eustachian tube dysfunction and it comes and goes but its definitely worse in my left ear.

I also have swollen glands that feel a tiny bit tender, but I think this is cause I have shingles at the moment.

Anyway my left ear feels really muffled and a bit sore and I am freaking out a bit. Really worried about ear/sinus cancer but if I had cancer surely the doctors would have sent me for more tests, I had a FBC done a few weeks ago and it was fine.

HA has been pretty good in general. Saw my Dad today and he said I seem a lot better cause he told me he is anaemic and he said I didn't freak out over that lol. Normally I really worry if something is up with a loved one and ask a lot of questions.

Has anyone had any ear problems with HA? Anyone know if the HA can make it worse?

Thanks xxx

Re: Muffled ear driving me nuts

I cant say I have health anxiety (just obsessed with getting sick) but I have also had Eustachian tube dysfunction a couple weeks ago. I had a really sore ear, headache and generally felt awful and that was the reason! Ear has also been a bit muffled since then too. I hadn't even heard of this until I went to the doctor for it! My doctor also said he had seen 4 people in the same day with ear problems so honestly it's pretty common and I imagine if it was something worse you would know about it. My ear was so sore I couldn't lie on it at night, but the reason was very simple and very common.

I know with health anxiety any symptom you feel would be like the absolute worse case scenario, so I'm sorry that you suffer with that as it must be very distressing! But remember that kids get ear problems aaaaaall the time, and it's the anxiety that's the issue rather than the ear problem.

Thanks Kimberley I have had it for months now on and off and it drives me mad. I had never heard of if before either. It feels like crackling sometimes and I get tinnitus too. Sorry to hear you have been suffering with it too :( its reassuring to know it is a common problem though.

I think the anxiety is coming from me Googling... I know I shouldn't, and the search results are almost always worst case scenarios. I think I do it because I want the search results to reassure me, but they rarely do!

Hi I get this too am suffering at the mo my ear feels partly blocked again I pain and pressure in it feels swollen awful I had it for few months last year the it went now it's back again :( I'm also worried as I can feel a small lump in my neck the same side as the ear :( horrified it's lymphoma or something I had a fbc last oct and it was normal I no the lumps been there for bout two years docs says it's just eaither a fatty lump it swollen gland nothing to worry about but because of my ear I'm scared have u been to ent my appointments just come thro now after 9 months xx

Have you had your ears syringed? I've had a muffled ear three times and each time had to have my ears syringed and that cures it. Syringing is just a woosh of water, nothing to worry about.

Drives you mad though, the deaf/full feeling.

It is annoying! My doctor explained to me that there is ear pain because usually when the tube is working the pressure is equalised, but when it's being dysfunctional the pressure is unequal and the same feeling as when you're flying. So totally harmless! Did your doctor give you anything for it? I was told to pop my ears 30-40 times a day!! (Holding your nose and forcing the air through your ears)

But yeah, a muffled ear is so frustrating! I also use almond oil in my ear to keep it clear, it's recommended to do that as well before the syringing to soften it!

Snowflake293, I'm sure you're aware of this but type the word cancer and ANYTHING into Google and you will find absolutely any symptom which you can relate to. And that plants a seed of doubt. Could you even modify your searches on Google so that it comes back with the most likely reasons? I admit I also searched the tube dysfunction to find out what it was, but nowhere did I see that it was dangerous or anything so I'm not sure what you search for but I bet that's when the anxiety starts?

Thanks guys. I am in a real state with it now... totally convinced I have nasopharyngeal cancer! I have had swollen glands for months and can feel a hard gristly lump near my ear (near my tragus) and had felt two matted glands in my neck on that side (nurse said it was a vein but I am not convinced) and I have had stuffy/ blocked nose and bleeding from nostril all on same side!

Feel utterly sick with panic and worry and really freaking out. Have called drs and asked for an appointment and they will call me back if they think I need to go in. I am really bloody worried. Hate this so much.

I really hope I can see a dr and they can put my mind at rest, that is all I want.

I am scared cause the blocking/cracking is far far worse in one ear and its on that side that I have the other issues.

I did have a FBC blood test a few weeks ago and it was fine but still so scared!!!!

I have never had my ears syringed no, they said theres no wax build up in there so no need to, I did ask them about it

Really feel awful right now. Fella out at work and I am on my own and just so frightened I have cancer and I am going to die.

Any replies right now would really help, thanks xxx

Hey snowflake how u doing I'm suffering to just wondered if u were any better x

Hey Beckie

My ear has been muffled today and feels like sommat is stuck deep inside. Get a bit of pain just under my jaw when I eat. I think it is related to my jaw, I used to have to wear a gum shield when I was little cause I'd grind my teeth and my jaw is clicky and tense.

I am worrying loads less though as I think its related to my jaw and I am not as scared of it being the c word now. I am still worrying about having a camera up though.

My fella gave me a neck rub last night and it helped ease the tension.

Do you get shoulder or neck tension at all?

I still worry cause that wouldn't explain my nose being stuffy and bleeding :( grrrr.

Hope you are doing ok today?

xx

Hey snowflake glad u are feeling abit better I'm still same really still got ear pain, pressure and headache that side :( just makes me panic but nothing much I can do till the 5 th when I'll hopefully get some answers the doc gave me antibiotics which I'm on my first day so will see if they work
    Do s say the lump in my neck is nothing but as it's the same side as my bad ear it's making me worse
    The only thing keeping me going in noing it went away for a out 6 months and if it was anything like c or serious wud it go away and come back ?.... I dunno

When's your ent appointment xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information