Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partner away - anxious

Partner away - anxious

Hi,

I've always suffered with mild anxiety but it's reached new levels recently. My partner has just left on a two week buisness trip to the states. This journey involves two flights and has given me huge anxiety. I've been in tears for days before and keep checking websites for the fear of an accident.

I'm worried about spending two weeks alone, but luckily I work full time. I'm trying to be rational about it but really struggling. I haven't been able to sleep and feel a sense of nausea continually. Not sure how I'm going to cope. Usually tv works as a distraction but I can't even focus on that!

Re: Partner away - anxious

Hi Duns,

Sorry to hear that you're feeling bad. Do you partake in any activities out-with your home? Any classes, groups? I was given professional advice about stopping repeated negative thoughts, the main thing is not to be alone, try to get out of the house and into company, this will take your mind off focusing on the negative. I hope this helps.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for your kind reply.

I don't have many friends or groups that I attend. I do enjoy exercise and could join a gym for the fortnight. Like you say, the repeated negative thoughts are awful and you feel like it's a continuous loop that you can never escape from. I need to develop strategies as my partner will travel globally with his job much more frequently and I have a demanding job that I'm struggling with due to my anxiety.

It's the weekend I'm worrying about, I'll try to make plans to get out. For example, a walk somewhere for the day.

i had this once when my wife went away for 19 nights to america.suffered very bad anxiety for about 5 days ,i couldnt even use face time with her.just seeing her on my screen made me realize she was thousands of miles away..this was seperation anxiety...after 5 days i was fine and coped very well...it will get better...good luck

Thanks for your reply. It's definietly seperation anxiety. It's quite horrible but I hope it'll improve like yours did, I only got around two hours sleep last night. I'm taking it on a day-to-day basis. It's the evenings that I'm finding tough.

duns it will get better i promiss..it did for me after a few days you get used to it and ajust..it was lonely for me in our bed at night,but i soon started to feel proud of myself after a few days,then i actualy started to enjoy the break..

Thanks, gregcool. That's encouraging to hear, especially the fact you began to feel proud. It is an achievement you should be proud of. Each day feels like a victory and means its one day closer until the end of his trip. I do feel that I have to overcome this as my health is definitely suffering.

So it's been a total of four nights and I have eight nights remaining. I'm finding that I have to avoid coming home until late in the evening and keep as busy as possible. When I stop and think, like just, I suffer a full panic attack. I think it's when I consider the sheer amount of time that's left. Anxiety is horrid. I've also lost a 4lb in 4 days.

You will get there. There is some good advice on here about doing a class or exercise. I know it's tough as you just want to curl up in your thoughts. I used to find at the weekend going for a big walk and enjoying the weather. Hope it's not raining!Keep trying to eat though as hunger is a similar feeling to anxiety.

Hi dunshope you are feeling ok,my husband works in another state I was anxious at first but now I love being on my own as I do not have to cook I eat when I want.I do miss him sometimes
    Petra x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information