Thread: Trichotillomania?

Trichotillomania?

Well a few weeks ago I pulled out most of my eye lashes. It looks so bad. I'm usually able to control it but I had a hell of a day and I didn't even realize how many I'd pulled out until it was too late.

Anyone else do that?

Re: Trichotillomania?

I tend to do something similar with skin picking. It dates back to childhood, probably the only real OCD behaviour that really does.

I think if we lower or anxiety levels in general, these nervous habits seem to go away or at least become more controllable. Do you find that?

I've been pulling my head hair for 4 years straight, continually. There was one point I pulled loads of it out but now I just tend to mess with it. If you're seriously pulling your hair out you might want to tell your doctor. That's all the advice I can give really. (Apparently) prozac helps with this but then you'd be getting yourself onto something you might not need.

Basically I don't know what to do if it's eyelashes but I'm just saying, yeah, I do it so often it's like breathing to me. I don't even care if I do it in public cause I can't afford to.

I'm already on anti depressants and prozac didn't do much for me it was one of the first medication's I tried.

I can't really do anything more about my anxiety, it's as low as it's ever going to be, since going on medication it's not something I consider an issue anymore.
    Whenever something upsetting happens I end up with bald patches somewhere though, although its almost always my eye lashes and eyebrows that suffer. I pick skin too.

Perhaps when something distressing happens you could try to practice some distraction technique to break the need to do this and after a while you won't feel the need to perform it?

Thread Information