Thread: Articles in Magazines

Articles in Magazines

I really felt my health anxiety was under control and then today bought two magazines and in both there were full blown articles on oesophageal cancer and a list of all the symptoms. Of course my mind goes into overdrive and I think I have at least half of those symptoms -burping, flatulence etc.etc.
    I am now thinking that I will have to stop buying magazines, newspapers,listening to TV adverts etc. as I don't know how to deal with the anxiety that these articles and adverts cause.

Re: Articles in Magazines

Personally I'm all for raising awareness, but a lot of this is just blatant scare mongering. Especially all the adverts we've had in the UK over the last few months.

It's hard to avoid all these public notices though and for us with HA it's a nightmare. All the latest stuff is just scaremongering I think. This will just put unnecessary stress on an already stretched NHS.

If burping and farting were indicators of esophageal cancer then the entire world population would be a severe risk! ~lol~

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    If burping and farting were indicators of esophageal cancer then the entire world population would be a severe risk! ~lol~

Positive thoughts
    Yeah, they would need to put clinics in the working men's pubs for a start

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie123 View Post
    I am now thinking that I will have to stop buying magazines, newspapers,listening to TV adverts etc. as I don't know how to deal with the anxiety that these articles and adverts cause.
    I think you need to be careful here because this would be avoidance. Otherwise, you would need to be able to expose yourself to it again in future in order to conquer this extra trigger as your subconscious will mame the connection to it being a risk to protect you from and it will actually reinforce your anxiety by giving it further importance.

Thread Information