Thread: Is anyone else obsessed with color of stool?

Is anyone else obsessed with color of stool?

Hello, I'm new to the forum, and very glad I joined. I've read many articles that have relieved a lot of my anxiety, and it's nice to know there's many others out there just like me. I am 41 and within the last year I have become what an absolute mess with health anxiety! Mostly due to over reading crap on Google and whatnot.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I read an article a few months ago about "WHAT YOUR STOOL COLOR SAYS ABOUT YOUR HEALTH" and now I can't even enjoy a good BM without panic before and after looking at it. Even though I have never had the 3 MAJOR colors to worry about, WHITE, RED, BLACK, I still wonder everytime it isn't just the RIGHT color of brown!

Tell me I'm nuts, and please tell me there's others out there that have dealt with this, and help me get over this obsession! I used to enjoy a good BM, reading a magazine and never even occurred to me that the color meant anything or that I was in any danger until reading online. Now I can't let it go. HELP!!!

And to the Moderators, please feel free to move this post to the appropriate place if I posted in the wrong one.

SICK

Re: Is anyone else obsessed with color of stool?

Hi I am aswell I have an app on my Iphone that tracks my bowel movements sometimes I don't go for 2-4 days at a time so if I forget I tend to panic but I have been worried about my bowel movement colour but also the texture if its different to normal.

Light or dark brown is the normal bowel movement colour if it is any other colour go to your doctor or gastroentroligist to find out if there is anything wrong

oh boy I've had red, black, green - light brown, almost clay coloured, I"ve had them all.
    Red was from eating too many cooked peppers, still don't know why I had black ones, I did a stool test and it came back clear - no blood and all the other colors most of the time I have decided are just foods or stress.

I"m 38 and I get stool tests done every year I"m so paranoid, even though they say don't do the screenings till your 50!

I wish I could enjoy a BM - mine are all over the place.

Yes me too. I'm always obsessing and checking when I go to the loo. Is it the right colour and shape etc. at the moment is colour - mine are dark brown, not black though. Is this a normal colour.

Yes! My health anxiety is centred around pancreatic/stomach cancer so I've been an avid 'stool checker' since the anxiety began. I even start to feel anxious while sitting on the loo because I worry that when I turn around and look at the results I will find something abnormal!! Wish I could break out of it.

I'm more obsessed with the colour of my urine as dehydration can make you feel anxious but I have been keeping an eye on the colour of my poo more and more lately.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Quote Originally Posted by VickyC View Post
    Yes! My health anxiety is centred around pancreatic/stomach cancer so I've been an avid 'stool checker' since the anxiety began. I even start to feel anxious while sitting on the loo because I worry that when I turn around and look at the results I will find something abnormal!! Wish I could break out of it.

Me too!!

I have to follow the color of my poo to check for possible blood, and so I can imagine how it is for you, as you do not even know what to look out for!

I can tell that they warn for red-one because it may have blood in it. Important here is that the blood is usually on the surface of the thing, and not mixed up with the stuff, so it is not actually the poo that is red. This also includes some of the blood coming out by itself so it sould be very visible and alarming symptom of some problem.

The black poo is a bit more problematic to notice. It is alarming because it may have old blood in it, blood that have bled deeper in. Improtant here is also that it is the blood that is black, not the stuff itself. The blood has different composition, it is more solid and tar like. It may come with other stuff or alone.

Different foods and drinks may color the poo in surprising ways, even to black, and that is not dangerous in itself. However, of you feel pains or the problems continue for multiple days, it is always wise to contact a doctor. Also, there are certainly other things that can change the color of the stuff, but these are the few I have come to know because of my problem.

Thread Information