Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panic Attacks Caused by Pregabalin?

Panic Attacks Caused by Pregabalin?

Hi,

I was prescribed 100mg pregablin/day for neuropathic pain, I have a lower back injury. I do not have any history of anxiety or depression. I've been taking my dosage for about two weeks and have had two intense panic attacks during this period (usually within 1 to 2 hours after taking my 50mg pregabalin pill) and have generally felt quite anxious - I've not been able to sleep properly due to adrenaline rushes and feeling that my heart is beating too strongly, and have had to take sleeping pills to get any sleep.

I know that pregabalin is prescribed to treat anxiety, but has anyone else had a similar experience to mine? While it does help moderately with my neuropathic pain, these side effects are far too much of a disadvantage for me to keep taking it I think. It is much harder to function day to day with this anxiety than with the chronic pain at the previous level. On the other hand if other people have been through this and think that within another week the side effects could die down, maybe it is worth sticking it out.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Re: Panic Attacks Caused by Pregabalin?

Very strange! Personally it stopped my panic attacks. Perhaps you could leave it for another week and see if the side effects go. If it is helping the pain then its worth giving it a little more time.

Sarah

I can't speak for this medication but I'm on Duloxetine for my anxiety and the dosing is the same as my current dose protocol (start on 30mg then move to 60mg). My medication caused me some increased anxiety on the starting dose but moving to the standard dose did cause me some serious problems with greatly increased adrenaline.

Whilst these may work a different way, and I think you need the guys on her who user it for that part, I just wanted to reassure you that it can happen on other medications used for your purpose. I don't know if Duloxetine only causes it in current anxiety sufferers although it does not say this in the PIL so I assumed it was a possibility to all users.

The thing is Pregabalin is an anti-anxiety drug and specifically for anxiety. It does not work like other drugs. I'm nit good at explaining the "how" it works stuff. Hopefully others will add to this thread and explain better than me.

Sarah

Thanks Sarah,

I have no idea about Pregabalin, I just know Duloxetine is prescribed in the same way although it will likely have a different method of action. My dad had some neck pain and his GP lobbed a small dose of medication at him (no exercises, no advice, nothing!) and when he got it home it was clearly an antidepressant so he decided he would rather have some neck pain than end up in the side effects trap with us lot!

I'm guessing perhaps hanshan will be able to help here as he seems to have done a fair bit of research on it all.

I'm sure he will help with this one.
    I can't remember anyone else on this forum saying it was triggering panic attacks..but I may be wrong

Well, if it was like my Duloxetine experience I think it would put the substance misusers off!

All of of these medications can have what are called 'paradoxical' effects, where they produce results the reverse of what most people experience.

For example, benzodiazepines (eg diazepam) can make some people hyper-manic, when for most people they have a calming effect.

In fact, although the difference from the desired effect may not be so pronounced in any particular case, there is always a difference according to whoever takes the medication.

If you get a strong, continued, paradoxical reaction from any medication, you should stop taking it. However, paradoxical reactions are the exception rather than the rule.

Also, there is also the possibility of start-up anxiety, where a person suffers anxiety-related symptoms due to starting a new medication. (I want to call this "medication anxiety", but Google only gives me medications for anxiety).

That makes sense hanshan, we have Zopiclone threads on here that state they have had heightened anxiety.

I remember taking 2mg Diazepam was fine in my first breakdown for about a week and then it either did nothing or made me feel more anxious.

According to Drugs.com, anxiety is listed as a side effect in the less common sub category of side effects that may not need medical attention (the ones where they say they will pass as the side effect window ends for the OP's benefit). I know in SSRI/SNRI's they usually tend to say that they may heighten existing anxiety but I didn't see this mentioned with Pregabalin which is good news for people who have passed through various meds as the last thing they want it more of that!

Thanks for all your replies.

It's true that it probably isn't possible to determine whether the panic attacks are being caused 'purely' by the pregabalin or whether I'm just particularly anxious due to taking medication and that's leading to panic attacks, or whether there's a combination of both.

What I have noticed is that the last two panic attacks have occurred roughly 2 or 3 hours after taking a 50mg dose, and that usually for around 5 or 6 hours after I've taken a dose I generally experience heightened anxiety. I have dropped it down to 1 50mg tablet per day now (rather than 2), and so far I seem to a lot less anxious...

But who knows. Maybe these reactions will pass. The problem for me is that while the neuropathic pain I have is debilitating, and the pregabalin does help it, having these panic attacks, not being able to sleep properly, and the general anxiety I've had over the past week have been more debilitating, and so I'm not sure if it's worth the risk to continue taking the drug. It's sort of exposed to me how fragile my prior, stable mental state was, i.e. just by taking this drug for a small period of time my quality of life can change hugely for the worse...so I'm just wondering if it's worth risking my mental health for moderate but less significant benefit to my chronic pain.

I'm going to keep taking 50mg per day for the next week and monitor what happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information