Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Panic Attacks Caused by Pregabalin?

Wink Re: Panic Attacks Caused by Pregabalin?

Hi paul- nice to know I'm not alone

Re: Panic Attacks Caused by Pregabalin?

I am also now experiencing more anxiety on Pregablin. As described it comes on after taking my morning dose and lasts for 3-4 hours then subsides. Has anybody pushed through this feeling and found Pregablin eventually relieves anxiety instead of increasing it? I am also feeling panic feelings which I have not felt before taking Pregablin. In the future we will know how and why the brain functions in the way it does and why different reactions occur across different people. Hopefully this will happen in our life time.

I know this is an old log but I wanted to share with you that I had taken lyrica for about a year and suddenly got Panic Disorder. It has been really bad the last two years. I stopped taking the Lyrica two years ago but the symptoms are still with me. I never in my life had anything close to a panic attack. I was very athletic and I can no longer workout without paying the price of a panic attack after it's over. There is no doubt in my mind that Lyrica caused the Panic Disorder. I warn people about taking this medication or any of the antidepressants they try and treat my condition with have some horrible side effects. If I could go back I would just deal with the nerve pain and not have taken anything. It has ruined the way I used to be. Best of luck with everything and I hope you haven't developed a permanent condition due to Lyrica.

Hi Imsimsj - If you discontinued pregabalin but are still getting panic attacks two years after discontinuing, it's very possible that the panic attacks have their own causation. Pregabalin is approved in the EU and UK for generalised anxiety - it's not really strong enough to prevent a full-on panic attack, so it may not have been able to stop your first panic attack. Panic attacks can start at any age, even among people who have been mentally resilient through all life's shocks to that point.

I'm going to jump here too. And like above, I appreciate it is an old thread.

However, I have been experiencing post Pregab dose anxiety also. Even on a single does of 75mg, within 6 hours I start to experience depersonalisation, which then leads to a sense of panic or anxiety. Needless to say I have stopped the medication and I am going to report back to my GP to see if there are any alternatives.

Having suffered with anxiety since a major op two years ago. And then recovering from that anxiety. To suddenly find my mental state as fragile as the Pregab side effects are implicating. I am troubled to say the least. Even though I realise that it most probably is the Pregab, given it is the only new thing introduced in to my daily regimen.

I was prescribed lyrica for anxiety which appeared after being prescribed antidepressants. Lyrica / pregabalin is prescribed to ease anxiety but its effectiveness is not proven and in fact there are many experiences posted on the web where it has caused anxiety where it did not originally exist. As to it causing panic attacks then there are some instances of this happening although most describe as bad anxiety. There is no doubt that it can cause anxiety especially after stopping its use abruptly. I needed 7 months to wean myself of it and if I dropped more than 2mg per fortnight I experienced awful flu like symptoms for 2 days. Awful drug but now that I am off it I do not experience any long term effects.

The effectiveness of every new drug released today has to be demonstrated in the Phase 3 trials (involving a number of studies in different locations prior to release, with two or three thousand people taking the drug). This is also true for pregabalin, where several studies showed it was effective for generalised anxiety for many people.

However, unfortunately, there are always a percentage of people who do not tolerate any particular drug, and must discontinue due to side effects - in this case, some people find it makes them feel more anxious, not less. This can particularly be the case for people with anxiety, who already are anxious about taking a new medication.

To minimise start-up side effects, many doctors start with a very low dose and gradually build up - this may also be useful for pregabalin. But if intolerable side-effects occur, then discontinuing may be the only option. I always say "good luck" with pregabalin because although it's been very good for a number of people, unfortunately it's not 100% guaranteed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information