Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panic Attacks Caused by Pregabalin?

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Re: Panic Attacks Caused by Pregabalin?

Good plan

I think the other members need to comment on the side effects window for this medication but I can say that they also use my med, Duloxetine, for neuropathic pain on the same basic dosage and that can either heighten current anxiety or create anxiety in someone who has no mental health issues. This passes once the side effect window is over. This is often considered about 4 weeks but mine at full dose was 8-10 days.

So, perhaps it will be the same for you and that your prior mental system was fine, I'm sure hanshan will throw some light on this. I think you would know yourself if you were anxious beforehand so think back first.

I have just started up on them for the 3rd time, and I am getting anxious about 6 hours after taking my morning one, but I have obviously had this in the past, and it does pass after a short while.

I wish I knew for sure the reason for paradoxical reactions.

One suggestion is that the body responds to a drug with a rebound effect that is actually stronger than the original drug. In effect, the body is trying to go back to the old status quo, but overshoots the mark. This may settle in a couple of days.

Another possible cause is that a calming effect in one part of the neurotransmission process may allow the release of excitatory neurotransmitters further down the line.

However, this is all just speculation - there is still much to be learnt about neurotransmission and neural pathways in the brain.

Nevertheless, the mere fact that we can talk about different neurotransmitters in the brain represents a vast advance on just a few years ago.

Wouldn't it be great if we could just "re-boot" our brains like a computer so the neurotransmitters go back to the beginning

The best thing I like on computers is "system restore", where you can go back to how your computer was a few days ago if you are having a problem now. I discovered it back in the Windows 98 days, when you had to hold down the Control button while the computer was booting up, then enter "scanreg restore" or something similar.

But for most of us, problems come from a combination of genetics and upbringing - all long ago and far away now. We can't go back to a point when everything was fine.

Nevertheless, every day is a new day for the brain. I believe that it does have the capacity to create new and good things, even if the present state may not be the greatest.
    Last edited by hanshan; 10-03-15 at 10:51.

Neuroplasticity...we CAN retrain out brains....hoorah!

Hello Oracle133

Hope that you are well?

I am interested to know how you are now with pregabalin? Did you continue or stop pregabalin?

I started pregabalin recently and had my first panic attack last night. I like hanshans explanation about a possible rebound effect which makes logical sense to me as we all see heightened symptoms when starting and stopping use of drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza123 View Post
    I have just started up on them for the 3rd time, and I am getting anxious about 6 hours after taking my morning one, but I have obviously had this in the past, and it does pass after a short while.
    Hi I find the anxiety heightened at apx 2-3 hrs after taking dose but it's like a wave which peaks and crashes then the calm is there -could be just me?
    x

Not just you Christine, I get it early evening after my afternoon dose.
    Paul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information