Thread: Recently diagnosed with depression - somequestions

Recently diagnosed with depression - somequestions

Hi, My doctor has just prescribed me Citalopram for depression and anxiety. I have taken my first tablet today (10mg) which I have to take for 7 days then go up to 20mg. I am quite nervous about teking these tablets as have read lots of posts about the side effects but am trying to be brave!
    The thing that is worrying me is that I have a 9 month old little girl and am currently at home looking after her. I dont want to start freaking out all of a sudden or faint or something. I also havnt told my partner and dont really want to. . I know he would be understanding but I think he would worry too much and that would make me worse. Will it be possible to take these without him knowing?
    One other thing that worrys me is that these may decrease sex drive...[:I] this is already a problem with me being depressed and it doesnt sound like these tablets will help at all. Does anyone have any expereince re this?
    Thankyou in advance..
    K

"Why do lovers, choose others,
    we circle entwine one another,
    in that mask that we wear with each other.
    Oh my God how I looked in the mirror,
    I looked at a hollow picture,
    it was something I could frame"

Hello,
    I worried the same when i started taking prozac! Re the sex drive thing - I know what you mean, but I figure since it is so poor to start with, the drugs can't really make it much worse than it already is!! I hope that as I start to feel better (and I am already), then it will return. You are on a very low dose, and I wouldn't worry too much about side effects - they are only possibilities and most of them are minor and disappear within a week. I have only suffered mild nausea and headaches, and these have gone now.

I would strongly advise you tell your partner - if he's understanding, how can you not tell him?! Mine has been a godsend. I found it reassuring to tell him, and I took my first couple of pills when he was there, and asked him to read the side effects, so if I freaked out he knew why! Needless to say, I didn't!

He shouldn't worry too much - at least you are getting treatment, and depression after having a baby is extremely common, from what I can read.

Hope this helps
    Seeker

Hi K,Im on citalopram,they gave me side affects for two weeks but then they settled down.I have no sex drive at all,the meds can do this but so can being depressed.My partner is very understanding,I think you should explain to your partner,so if you feel unwell while you are getting used to the meds he will know and can support you.

Ellen XX

Hello Kerry!

I'm also going to emphasise what Ellen and Seeker said - you really must tell your partner. I can't stress how vital this is, especially as how you say he would be understanding. He's going to worry all the more if he notices little changes in you isn't he? Much better for both of you to be up front with each other.

Yes, the side effects can be quite daunting for some but not all. And yes, sex drive seems to be quite a big issue for Citalopram users, but if this is decreased already because of your depression it probably won't get significantly worse and an understanding partner is a God send where this is concerned. But, I can assure you it will return, (with bells on!), when you come off the Ci if not before, once you've got used to it! So....you'd better book a babysitter right now !!

Do take care, and keep us updated so that we can support you ok? There will always be somebody here for you to talk to.

lotsa luv to you

GG [:P]

xx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

Thank you so much for your posts. They have really helped. I thought over things and decided to tell my partner last night. He was a little shocked at first and worried that I was taking medication, he's heard bad things about antidepressents.
    I think explaining about the lack of sex drive re depression was good because I think he was taking it personally.
    This morning am feeling glad I have told him. No side effects so far, just a bit anxious last night. Do you think I may be likely to get them more when the dosage goes up to 20mg? Anyway, thankful so far!
    Thankyou again xxxx

Hi Rollingperson,

Everyone is different, when it comes to medication, i take Citalopram also, and didnt realy suffer many side affects, i do remeber my anxiety been a little worse, and feeling a little spaced out in the beginning, But nothing drastic. I started like you on 10mg. Try and remember also it can take up to 8 weeks before you feel the depression lifting, sometimes its quicker for others.
    As for the sex drive ! its never affected me at all, as a matter of fact i think my husband would have wished it had !!!lol

I wish you luck hun !!

Love

Andrea
    xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Lol Andrea, that made me smile. Thanks :-)

xx

Thread Information