Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: One good thing that happened today

One good thing that happened today

Psychologists have found that if you write about one good thing that happened to you today, it helps you relive the good experience, which improves your wellbeing over time.

It's mentioned in this Ted Talks video, which is one of the most popular Ted Talks videos of all time:

http://www.ted.com/talks/shawn_achor...rk?language=en

"Journaling about one positive experience you've had over the past 24 hours allows your brain to relive it." - Shawn Achor

He also mentions writing down things you are grateful for, for which we already have a thread: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110273

I invite you to join this thread, and share one good experience that happened to you each day. Welcome!

So, here goes...

I got off the bus in a new part of town to me. There was a charity shop, and I thought I would look inside. There were cheap DVDs, some of which I had wanted to see for ages. There was a necklace that looked really expensive but was very affordable. It had an unusual clasp and it would look really great with a black dress. I tried it on and I looked a bit like Lisa Simpson, which made me laugh.

Then I looked in the home section, and I saw a jug which was painted yellow and blue. It was so summery, and reminded me of an artist's house near Brighton called Charleston House, which I love. I thought of the yellow bunch of flowers which I'd bought yesterday. They were in a watering can at home, and the opening is too big, so they didn't look great in it. The flowers would look amazing in this jug though.

So, I bought the lot: 3 DVDs, the necklace and the jug. It is a charity shop after all, and I don't give nearly enough to charity in general. And I would never have found this jug in Wilko's. I've been looking for a good character jug or vase for flowers for weeks. I rarely have such successful shopping trips.

Re: One good thing that happened today

Thanks for starting this thread. Recording positive moments really helps.

I have two grandsons. The little one is just trying to form words. I went round today and he came toddling at me, arms raised and , without prompting, said "g'anma" His little face lit up and made me feel so happy.

Aw that's so sweet!

Today I went for a walk in a park I hadn't been to before. I got to a lake and there was a swan. It came right up close to me on the water. I bent down and talked to it softly, telling it how beautiful it was, that it was the Prince of the lake.

I looked closely at its body. The feathers were so white. They were so matted together and smooth, that the edges of the feathers could have been painted on - the body was so so smooth and sleek. Sometimes the swan raised its wings slightly, and it reminded me of those merry go round swan carriages where you can sit inside the swan wings.

A dog came and the owner threw a ball in the water, and the dog eagerly sploshed in. The goose hissed. The swan made an odd disapproving sound too. I laughed.

Lots of other swans gathered in. It was a beautiful sight to see. It was a good moment where I didn't feel self destructive. I couldn't believe I was talking to a swan, but why shouldn't I talk to a swan? I know it's not going to talk back. It's just a weird thing to do - but it's not going to hurt anyone, so why not?

Today I had a full body massage when I thought I'd just booked a back massage - maybe it was a free upgrade or a mistake. The knots in my back were loosened. My arms and legs and feet got massaged too. I felt sleepy and relaxed afterwards. The best part was that I was more able to focus on being mindful, in the moment, during and afterwards. Today I have been very mindful actually - I kept saying to myself 'I am here and now' - I am in this place, and I am in this moment of time - I don't need to think about before or the future right now, I can just focus on right now.

I spent time, and had a laugh with my 3 younger brothers today at my mums house. I threw the ball for her dog, about 300 times, which got it bit much but gave him an extra wag in his tail, and I ate a pasty for lunch which was very nice.

We worry so much about yesterday, and tomorrow, that sometimes we forget to live the moment, so yes, nice thread

What a nice thread, I spend so much time worrying I forget to appreciate nice things..
    My nice thing today was my little dog bringing me my shoe (just one) and her lead, a pair of pants from the laundry basket and my hairbrush. It forced me out and we had a great walk (i didn't recycle my pants though lol)

Quote Originally Posted by lior View Post
    Today I had a full body massage when I thought I'd just booked a back massage - maybe it was a free upgrade or a mistake. The knots in my back were loosened. My arms and legs and feet got massaged too. I felt sleepy and relaxed afterwards. The best part was that I was more able to focus on being mindful, in the moment, during and afterwards. Today I have been very mindful actually - I kept saying to myself 'I am here and now' - I am in this place, and I am in this moment of time - I don't need to think about before or the future right now, I can just focus on right now.
    That's great. I wish I could afford to go for massage. It always helps me relax and stop worrying.

Today I have arranged for a friend to come for the weekend. I've been to their house before and been able to leave when I'd had enough. I'm a little nervous about having someone in my space, but feel really positive about having a visitor here.

My friend Matt was as excited as me to see a 1946 map of the V&A and together we both wanted to figure out how the map compared to the museum today. We were trying to remember what's where, from the times we've been before. We've volunteered there together and we've both been there to many exhibitions together over the past few years. It was good to feel connected by interest with a friend. It was good to almost competitively share memory with a friend too. And it was satisfying to figure out what was where too. It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only V&A fanperson in the world.

I love when I can splurge and get a massage - I get the same effect, Lior. I am always very tense and it is really helpful.

Today it was finally above freezing!! We have had the coldest month on record ever in February and it has been soooo depressing and brutal. It was 40 today and felt like shorts weather!!! Nice to see the snow start to melt.

Haha swgirl09, I read 40 and I thought, "Golly, that's awfully hot for your time of the year". Then I remembered that you use Fahrenheit...haha!

worriedallthetime35 - your comment really just made my day. Animals really just have such a special way of brightening up our lives

Lior, this is an awesome idea!

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information