Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: One good thing that happened today

Re: One good thing that happened today

Anthrokid - lol yeah, I forget frequently that we use different measurements!! Although it's been so cold here, I would take the heat!

swgrl09 - please, please, please take the heat. I am done with the heat. I would love nothing more than to bundle myself up in layers, snuggle in a blanket and curl up of the couch, haha!

haha I wish I could!! Our average temp for February was 16 degrees F ... which google tells me is about -8 degrees C. It's been so brutal. Can't imagine what it's like in your part of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by worriedallthetime35 View Post
    What a nice thread, I spend so much time worrying I forget to appreciate nice things..
    My nice thing today was my little dog bringing me my shoe (just one) and her lead, a pair of pants from the laundry basket and my hairbrush. It forced me out and we had a great walk (i didn't recycle my pants though lol)
    Thats brilliant!

My dog is always waiting for me lying in the begging pose when I come out of the bathroom after I get ready for going out so he's the first thing I see and get reminded its time for walkies!

---------- Post added at 07:43 ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by anthrokid View Post
    Haha swgirl09, I read 40 and I thought, "Golly, that's awfully hot for your time of the year". Then I remembered that you use Fahrenheit...haha!
    I just thought she had typoed a t onto "I" to make "It" so she was being proud of hitting 40 and wearing shorts!

Haha, no, just glad to be above freezing. I hope when I am 40 I am confident enough to sport some shorts around in March! lol

Haha! I'd totally wear shorts when I'm 40. White ones. Might have to carry a tennis racket to display a good excuse for them though...

One good thing that happened to me yesterday:
    I went to a talk about being a man during a Women of the World festival at the Southbank Centre. They discussed violence against women, men and emotions and power, that kind of thing. My 13 year old brother had suggested we go, and he understood the whole talk, as far as I gather. I think that's pretty amazing for a 13 year old. How many 13 year olds are interested in gender politics? He was even able to discuss it with me afterwards, intelligently. I was surprised and happy for him - he's growing into a thoughtful person.

That's awesome, Lior. Your brother is proof that new generations are making change. I was surprised, my 10 and 13 year old cousins said that they only call their female teachers Ms instead of Miss vs Mrs. They don't differentiate if they are married or not, as they don't have to for the male teachers. I was blown away!

Good thing for me today - good day at work, albeit busy. My productivity is good though and my boss gave me recognition for going above and beyond.

I had my house valued today as I'd like to move. The valuation was higher than I hoped which opens up my possibilities.

This is such a feel-good thread, you're all saying wonderful things

Today I had bad period pain, felt exhausted and lost my appetite.... but despite feeling awful I managed to make it out the house, and not cancel my talk. I gave a careers talk to my old secondary school, along with 6 other women. It was really inspirational - both the women and the pupils were inspirational. The pupils were asking great, challenging questions about A-levels and career paths. The women were accomplished and had a deep self-confidence. They said things like 'men might believe that they are better than you, but in fact you may be better than them' - they were trying to give the girls the confidence they need to compete with men in science subjects. It reminded me that not everyone suffers from all this crippling self doubt - whether it's gendered or not.

I felt more alive than I had done for a while. I love talking to an audience about my work in an inspirational way. I love being able to broadcast my passion. I love feeling that I am able to help people a little bit on their journey. It gave me a bit more confidence about returning to work. Walking down the street and thinking about it afterwards was a really good moment. Unfortunately I still did anxiously beat myself up about all the things I did slightly wrong, and I did have intrusive self harming thoughts, but at least I did feel a bit more confident. It helped me remember what I'm good at. If I'm doing something I'm good at, I feel more energy and less sleepy and depressed.

I heard a girl in a cafe saying that she felt like she was charging too much when she was charging £10/hr for her professional services, and she felt like she should charge £5/hr. I had a 'go girl' moment and told her to value herself, and asked her if she thought a man would doubt himself the way she was doubting herself.

She thanked me for the pep talk and the other two girls that were there backed me up.

I won't ever know if it's made a difference, but I really hope she charges what she deserves to be paid.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information