Thread: After some reassurance about my (probably anxiety-based) symptoms

After some reassurance about my (probably anxiety-based) symptoms

Hi, new here so hi everyone!

Bit of background: 25 year old male, terrible hypochondriac, slightly overweight I guess.

However, my latest worry seems to have taken hold of me a bit.

A few weeks ago I seemed to be having issues with breathing (that seemed to come and go) and was worried about my heart rate (sometimes high 50s, sometimes 80s), so I instantly assumed heart issues. I made a doctors appointment. When I was in the waiting room I was focusing on my heart rate and all of a sudden it felt like it stopped for what seemed ages before starting again, and in my panic a wave of adrenaline passed over me and I went into the drs room in a complete state. The Dr asked all the usual questions and suggested an ECG and bloods. He wasnt worried at all.

On the way home from the drs I had a couple more palps so I went to the A&E, where they did an ECG and bloods there. Both of these were completely normal. This gave me a bit of reassurance until a day or two later when trying to sleep, when I had palps pretty much every minute from when I went to bed at 11pm till about 3am.

I did however notice a correlation between some multivitamins I was taking and the start of my symptoms so I stopped taking those and things seem to have cleared up a bit, I was able to sleep well last night. I had the bloods and ECG appointment at the doctors as scheduled and again, the ECG was normal, but they did mention something about higher voltages, but they said this was fine for young folks.

However, today at football practice I had a bit of another episode. I had a palp while playing and it also hurt a bit when it happened, which has sent me into worry mode again. I have noticed people on here have had the same issue, but it turned out to be nothing.

I'm also worried about the fact that previously I've been aware of my heartbeat when not actively checking it (just sitting down for example), and this has not been the case in the last few days. My GF/parents have told me that this is perfectly fine but this seems to have happened (I think, unless this is yet another anxiety thing that I've become hyper aware of) recently. I don't have low blood pressure or anything like that.

Sorry to drop all that on you for a first post but I guess my questions are:

Does all this just sound like a load of anxiety-based twoddle?
    If I had an entire night of palps will this damage the old ticker?
    Is the lack of me noticing my heartbeat when sat down etc an issue?

Thanks for all your help.
    Dave

Re: After some reassurance about my (probably anxiety-based) symptoms

Are you having palpitations, or are you able to feel your pulse in different parts of your body? I feel my pulse at various locations over the course of a day, and can feel my heart beat. The problem is that most people probably can, but anxiety has made you aware of it, so now you focus on it and feel it all the time.

I do not think an ECG actually shows an awful lot of stuff, but they are generally good enough to pick up a severe problem. I have had plenty in my time.

Palpitations can be caused by anxiety and beta blockers like Propranolol are good for this, I take them, they are also okay for anxiety apparently.

If bloods and ECG are clear then maybe you could talk to your Doctor about beta blockers, and just keep an eye on yourself and if symptoms do get worse, go back to the doctors, there is no harm in it, thats what they are there for

Sorry I think my mind dump might have not been clear!

The problem is that I used to feel my heartbeat quite well but for some reason I cant feel it very often when I'm sat down or lying down now. People are saying this is normal but it feels weird for some reason! When I feel my pulse at the wrist or whatever it appears normal.

Thanks!

>> Does all this just sound like a load of anxiety-based twoddle?

Could easily be anxiety, yup. It can do all that and more.

>> If I had an entire night of palps will this damage the old ticker?

It won't damage it. It could cause problems if it's every few seconds for months, though.

>> Is the lack of me noticing my heartbeat when sat down etc an issue?

That's fine. Things like digestion and alcohol can affect what you feel and when. Perhaps your stomach is calmer than usual?

Thread Information