Thread: Has anyone else used mindfulness and meditation to recover?

Has anyone else used mindfulness and meditation to recover?

I read "The power of now" by Eckhart Tolle over 3 years ago and have been using the principles of mindfulness as often as possible since then. I've also started a regular schedule of meditation which I began on Jan 1st this year. I started off slow (5 mins a day morning and night) and I am up to 25 mins twice daily atm with the aim of going to 30 mins twice daily next week. The effects have been immense, although I still have a long way to go yet recovery wise.

Has anyone else had any experiences with using mindfulness and meditation to recover from panic/agoraphobia?

Re: Has anyone else used mindfulness and meditation to recover?

I first read about Eckhart Tolle in Dan Harris' book 10% Happier.

I picked up The Power Of Now, and it's added to my reading list. First off is finish the above, and then I have Danny William's Mindfulness: Finding Peace In a Frantic World.

Mindfullness, is somethign that I really want to give a try, but so far just been dancing around the edges of it. As I struggle, ironically, to hold my concentration enough for reading at the mo.

Might give the Headspace app a go, as seem quite accessible.
    Last edited by JMA; 17-03-15 at 11:02.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

I use it as a extra tool in my box of coping strategies. A great read is "Sane New World" by Ruby Wax... funny, informative and a great introduction to Mindfulness.

Sarah

Yes, it helped me more with my OCD than CBT did by far.

Look up MBSR and MBCT for evidence of how it is accepted as a treatment for all sorts of things thesedays. The MBSR form is the most inmteresting because it has been showing promise in studies of asthma and even management of symptoms in cancer. CBT is used in cancer on that basis so it makes a lot of sense that this would help them.

Here is one for the Oxford Mindfulness Centre for MBCT http://oxfordmindfulness.org/science/

I expect that this will overtake CBT eventually.

Hi ,

Ive taken a more spiritual path and feel much better ( not to be confused with any specific religion ) . There,s lots of good free audio books on youtube , I like James Allen . Meditation is a great practice as you mention above .
    Ive read Echart Tolle books and watched some videos of him . His concept while very interesting I found very difficult to fit into daily living but I do get what he says . Have we created our own anxiety ? I believe so .

Thanks

Thread Information