Thread: Normal to have increased anxiety when starting an SSRI?

Normal to have increased anxiety when starting an SSRI?

I was recently put on 20mg of Celexa for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, OCD Tendencies, and Major Depressive Disorder(?).

The first two weeks were rough and caused severe increased anxiety, so I decided to drop myself down to 10mg. Although that did seem to help, I worry that it might not be a therapeutic dose for anxiety treatment.

I called my doctor and spoke to her nurse and she said that anxiety is not a side effect of starting Celexa, so this has me a little worried. I've not had great experiences with SSRI's in the past, but I never stick to them for a month because of the onset symptoms of starting them.

If Celexa 20mg caused increased anxiety during the first two weeks, does that mean the medication just isn't co-existing well with my body, or is my system just getting used to the medication and maybe I started on too high of a dose for me personally?

Thanks for the support.

Re: Normal to have increased anxiety when starting an SSRI?

Hi
    If you read my post i was the same, Infact i stoped these the day before yesterday and im still not right, and i only took them for 3 days at 20mg.

Unfortunately increased anxiety is a very common side effect of any AD's, i recently increased my dose of mine and was literally climbing the walls for the first 2 weeks but I persevered and within 3 weeks it had gone, my Gp said alot of people don't continue with them for this reason but it is worth it in the end.

Funny she said anxiety is not a side effect -- I wonder if she's even taken any or spoken to anyone who did. Ugh!

That said, I experienced the same and wanted to stay at 10mg as well, but my doctor said to take my time heading up to 20mg and I finally got there after 4 weeks. Go slow and remember that everything you're feeling right now will eventually subside. I had really bad anxiety as a result of the medicine the first weeks!

Thank you for all of the kind words and support.

I'm honestly so relieved to hear you say that, Honeycakes. I went through two weeks of hell on 20mg and then another week of discomfort because I kept switching from 10mg to 20mg, trying to figure out what was going out without help from my doctor.

After being on 10mg for about 3 days, I finally had my first decent day which helped calm my mind a bit. The next day, which was today, I experienced strange dulled panic sensations that eventually subsided. I can't really explain how I feel right now, perhaps a new sense of being and not being sure how to handle or take it. Either way, I look forward to feeling normal and not having these side effects once my system balances out.

Thank you again, Honeycakes. Your post gave me the strength to continue on with the Citalopram.

I first went onto Citalopram at 20mg and my GP never made me aware of any side effects other than sweating or loose stools but I was very concerned when I read the PIL inside the box. I took them anyway and 2 days later I was back onto my GP and I ended up with a visit from the Crisis Team who advised my doctor to prescribe Zopiclone to help me sleep so I cope better, which helped a lot.

Increased anxiety is very common with these medications and I definately had it with Citalopram. Its not a sign its not compatible with you but if its is severe, your doctor may decide to change or if the symptoms just won't go once the side effect window has passes.

That nurse has no clue about mental health issues if she believes that! I would report that to your doctor because she is going to be causing the same for future patients.

My GP said 10mg wasn't a therapeutic dose but I've since learned a lot more and now know his knowledge is quite basic in this field. Plus there are people on here on low values like this. Some people are also very sensitive to these meds and start far lower than 10mg and build up.

I've read that these medications take 4 half lives to reach full dose so the yo-yoing wouldn't have allowed for this and I'll bet it wasn't pleasant.

On the bright side, I found withdrawal pretty ease compared to start up but a lot of that is also because you are in a better way by then.

In response to MyNameisTerry my doctor acted a little surprised when I told him I'd suffered horrible side effects for 4 weeks, then again, he's not the one taking it and everyone I spoke to online who HAD, had a story matching mine !

I also take Zopi to help sleeping but not every single day which can be bad in the long run. It helped calm my nerves a lot in the beginning and sleep like a baby which is needed when you are taking Citalopram but a lot of people just cant sleep on it !

Thread Information