Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which social situation you hate?

Which social situation you hate?

Since I was little, I remember being shy of being looked at or everyone looking at me and being the center of attention

As I grew up I had sometimes, to stand in the front of the class to talk about the subject discussed. I was never comfortable with that but it passes.

When I went to college, I was never a leader and shied away from responsibility. I hated group assignment as this meant every one talking a listening to other and you have to say your opinion

When I worked I was asked to do presentations and this was as death sentence to me. I panic so much to the point that my system seems to be collapsing and having near nerves breakdown.

This is just few thing that I feel unable to perform

Re: Which social situation you hate?

I hate any kind of group activity where people are looking at you and putting you on the spot asking questions.

I don't like sitting in front of people as it feels like they are all looking at me and what i'm doing which makes my anxiety even worse as i try to sit all rigid and not move which then causing a lot of uncomfortableness and makes me start panicking

I hate being in a room with people I don't know, and I hate going to the pub with friends because I hate making small talk

I absolutely hate people singing "Happy Birthday" to me. I used to cry as a kid every single time. I had forgotten how bad it used to be until seeing some home videos recently. It doesn't make me distressed to the point of tears anymore, but still makes me uncomfortable to this day.

Wow, I just don't like eating out anywhere, and only because I have to watch what I eat.

Did you notice the use of the word hate. This is a very negative word and attracts other negative words. It is a word I very very seldom use. It doesn't stop me from disliking a lot of things.

Meals is the one I struggle with.

Prior to relapsing I had a few company meals out and I really struggled with nausea and I could feel the panic building. I stayed but it was a struggle to eat whilst feeling like I wanted to be sick and get out of there!

Its not quite as bad now but if I'm having a blip, it will make it a hard thing to do.

I'm fine with public speaking, presentations, etc as they were part of my career. However, when I first returned to work after my first breakdown, I found it hard to sit with a group of period surrounding me as if they were blocking my exit. I quickly got over this by doing it more though and I was back to running workshops/meetings, etc for ages before the thing with social meals started and then I later spiralled into relapse 6 months after withdrawing from Citalopram after being pressured by my GP to come off it (never again doctor, I know how things work now!)

It's reassuring to know i am not the only person who really struggles to eat meals in public. I also hate sitting somewhere that i feel trapped in and cant easily escape from and find making small chat or doing anything social with people i don't know well nerve racking.

In school I had to give a talk on Australia. I was teamed with another boy.We worked real hard on our presentation. We even had a map. It was perfect as far as Australia was concerned because it was about Australia. So there I was 8 years old and proud with my pointer and my chest out. The teacher shot me down with one question I didn't have an answer to because it wasn't in my research. I looked at my partner and he didn't know either. No praise, no joy. One moment was all it took to give a little boy Agoraphobia and I carried it for the next fifty years. Ah, but the teacher got to look smarter than a little boy. How much work is that.

I used to have trouble eating out too. not so much restaurants but functions and private homes. These were people I knew for Gods sake.

I hate having to order things, say at McDonalds or Subway etc. Also saying to the ticket conductor on a bus or train where I am going really stresses me out too. I always muck up my words and panic as soon as I get on the bus or train because I know I will have to talk to the conductor.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

I hate walking by myself. Because I am a heavier person I feel like everyone driving or walking by is judging me. Because my fiance is skinny, I feel better when he walks next to me. It's like I'm letting the world know that yes, a skinny guy chose me... the whale.
    It makes me feel like an actual person.

---------- Post added at 02:07 ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFish View Post
    I hate having to order things, say at McDonalds or Subway etc.
    This was my problem when I was younger. My parents would always hand me the money and make me go order things for them. I always asked my younger sister to come with me. In the end I would whisper the order to her and she would repeat it to the cashier. Counting money to pay for it was also torture. I would count it 3-5 times and then hand it to my sister so she could recount it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information