Thread: Best medication to help dp/dr?

Best medication to help dp/dr?

Hello
    I have wrote a few posts recently about these horrible feelings and a fair few visits to the drs which has resulted into being prescribed something different to try each time. I was given citalopram to start and then changed to sertreline (which i didn't like the sound of so didnt try) and recently fluoxetine but got scared of those after a few days. I understand I'm not really giving them enough time but I'm so scared that It enhances the dp/dr and that I will loose grip of myself further...if that makes any sense! I've tried for so long to do it without but I feel I'm going to have to try one of these and wondered what has been best for people with this bad dp/dr.
    Thank you x

Re: Best medication to help dp/dr?

Quote Originally Posted by sugaplum01 View Post
    Hello
    I have wrote a few posts recently about these horrible feelings and a fair few visits to the drs which has resulted into being prescribed something different to try each time. I was given citalopram to start and then changed to sertreline (which i didn't like the sound of so didnt try) and recently fluoxetine but got scared of those after a few days. I understand I'm not really giving them enough time but I'm so scared that It enhances the dp/dr and that I will loose grip of myself further...if that makes any sense! I've tried for so long to do it without but I feel I'm going to have to try one of these and wondered what has been best for people with this bad dp/dr.
    Thank you x
    I tried a few ssris and finally ended up on olanzapine which helped get rid of my dp/dr quick quickly,I also read this book which also really helped http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/the_book.html
    Last edited by MrAndy; 10-03-15 at 08:52.

I found escitalopram does the trick for me, but it's a long road - the symptoms get worse for the first few weeks then start going away. Four months in and I only have the odd fleeting moment now. Definitely much better. I also stopped drinking coffee and alcohol which helped too.

Citalopram helped me twice and now I'm back on it a 3rd time. Do you think it will still help me the 3rd time?

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LizzyWoo1 View Post
    I found escitalopram does the trick for me, but it's a long road - the symptoms get worse for the first few weeks then start going away. Four months in and I only have the odd fleeting moment now. Definitely much better. I also stopped drinking coffee and alcohol which helped too.

What dose are you on? Had it taken the dp away?

Hi Emma, I took 10mg of Escitalopram after a failed attempt on Citalopram. The side effects were too much for me but I'm a bit of a lightweight on any medication The DP has now gone - I still get the odd fleeting few seconds if I'm tired but it's not there all of the time like it was. I have stayed off caffeine (I miss coffee!) and don't really drink alcohol much at all now. I've also kept taking magnesium and cod liver oil supplements - not sure if they really work, but will do anything to keep the DR away.

I don't think any medication will magically treat you, however some anti anxiety things and vitamins can help your mind get energy.
    Basically, DPDR happens when your mind is under heavy stress and is highly tired and shuts down your emotions. Only way to get out of it is to stop thinking about it and carrying on, finding a distraction. I know it sounds hard, but in time you will manage to do it.

Thread Information