Thread: dental phobia ....thoughts of teeth falling out ruining my life

dental phobia ....thoughts of teeth falling out ruining my life

It may sound extreme & I know I fret about lots of health issues but of late I've been consumed by this fear of my front tooth Dalling out..I have an extreme fear of the dentist after something went wrong 15 years ago...2 years ago I had a few problems so saw the dentist he did lots of stuff and fixed me up my front tooth appears longer than the other I know this is due to gum problems which I have at home corrected . I have over the last few months though noticed a gap forming around that one tooth it's not sitting next to the others like it did and there's 2 gaps either side only tiny but they are very much there. I don't know what to do...I'm consumed daily by fear that it's going to drop out ..I mm goggle searching and when I do forget it for a hit it then rears it's head that fear and I'm fretting again . I don't leave the house much I stay in a lot I feel like I can't go out and relax anymore ...I'm 40 and thinking am I going to lose my front tooth and be like this for the rest of my life.

Re: dental phobia ....thoughts of teeth falling out ruining my life

Hi Pepsi
    I am sorry this fear is overwhelming you. I have had episodes of dental phobia and fears in the past due to lots of work being done on my teeth.

I am not sure I quite understand your description of the changes you have noticed, but maybe you mean there is more of a gap around the teeth up near the gum? Gums can change sometimes, naturally, it might be that you are just noticing it now.

The best bit of advice I can give you is to go to the dentist if you cannot settle and would like them to take a look. Have you got a current dentist you feel comfortable with?

If possible make a visit, the fear of your teeth falling out is definately scary and more than likely not going to happen, adding to that a growing fear of visiting the dentist and you have a lot of anxiety that you can perhaps challenge and reduce.

Worry is sometimes made worse by trying to solve the problem by thinking, all of us do this, if you can take action and get the issue checked out, it might help reduce the worry. Take Care

Hi Thankyou for your reply...I am consumed by fear of the dentist it seems every time I'd go it would open a box of problems for me and even infections after treatment. The problem with the front tooth is it appears longer than the one next to it has been for a long time. Now though I've noticed gaps have formed either side of this tooth. Small gaps....its terrifying me. It's almost midnight and I'm laying here wishing it would all just end I'm afraid it's going to fall out and I will be left for life like that

Well.... it's a catch 22 then isn't it?

You may feel it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario but in reality it's far from it. The reality is it's FAR worse if you don't go. First off because you stay up nights and are consumed with an irrational fear and secondly, if you neglect your dental health then surely your fears will become reality.

What's the worse that can happen if you go? What?... need some work? Even if you have to have an extraction, they can replace teeth, make a partial plate, or whatever. Cosmetically, you can look as good as new.

Like I said, the consequences of not going are far worse than going.

Positive thoughts and good dental hygiene and care!
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hello again Pepsi

I understand you are really fearful and nothing I or anyone can say will change that in someways. Really, the best thing you can do is go to the dentist as Fishmanpa says, in the worst case scenario and your worst fear are true and the tooth is not OK there is no way you would be left with a gap.

With regards the fear of the dentist - of course with negative experiences in the past you have extra challenges, but the benefit of visiting and the sense of achievement and control you will start to get back is worth it. Believe me, I walk into my dentists now and they simply cannot believe I used to have a phobia. I am still fearful, I still worry about what is wrong and how will they fix it and what if what if but.......I still go and that reduces the fear, it keeps the fear where it needs to be, which is at a reasonable and manageable level.

For tonight, maybe you can try calming yourself, you can't change the tooth or the outcome of what might or might happen with it, but right now you can try and change the fear levels, that must be the most uncomfortable part, not really the tooth at this moment.

Can you maybe try distracting yourself with something else, forcing yourself to put your concerns in a box for now?

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

One more thing, I am not sure it's ok to point to other websites here, but I am going to mention www.dentalfearcentral.org. If you want to challenge your fear, the forum there is really useful, I used it before, during and after a period of time where I wanted to overcome my avoidance of the dentist - you can also search and see if there is a dentist near you that understands patients with fear and phobia, that might be a good first step if you feel you can't visit the dentist just yet x

Thread Information