Thread: Citalopram and sleep

Citalopram and sleep

Hello everyone

It's day 5 for me on 20mg citalopram. My doc decided to switch me over from Sertraline.

My sleep is messed up to say the least. Currently getting my head down at midnight and awake again at 3am.

I know its a pretty common side effect but anyone with good stories of overcoming the sleeplessness?

Keep telling myself I must be patient.

Re: Citalopram and sleep

Anyone at all

Funnily I am the other way around. I am sleeping too much, rather than too little. Thing is though, I think your body will know what it needs at the minute. Although it might seem frustrating to be awake at those hours, if it's not causing you any problems like feeling tired, then your body may not be needing the sleep. It will regulate again eventually. If it really bothers you, then there is the option of over the counter sleep aids. Though check with your doctor first to see if they would reccomend it or not.

I was awful too on them, woke up early and sleep was just so messed up. Was only on them a few days and decided to come off due to working and side effects of these.
    I'm picking up something else tomorrow so I have no idea what I'm going to be like with these. He says there not as strong. I don't even know what they are. I'll post up tomorrow.

I had insomnia really badly and ended up with a visit from the Crisis team and a recommendation for Zopiclone to help me sleep and recover to tolerate the rest of the side effects. This worked for me.

I learned much later from coming here that I should not have taken Citalopram in the evening or it does this. I've seen people on here recommend taking it in the morning to avoid this problem.

When are you taking yours?

I should have taken my Citalopram in the morning the first 2 months atleast, I started off evenings and could barely sleep. I was so sensitive to it in the beginning that I couldnt even have 3 sips of coffee without having anxiety. Now I drink my morning coffee no problem and when I accidentally take my Citalopram around dinner time it doesnt affect my sleep actually - I find I sleep to easily now and have trouble waking in the morning. I guess I'm recuperating from all those years of insomnia and anxiety. Try taking it in the morning instead !

Thread Information