Thread: Terry Pratchett Rest In Peace

Terry Pratchett Rest In Peace

I just wanted to post a thread about this and whilst its not anxiety or depression related, I have to say that reading has been a great new hobby of mine since I relapsed.

I should probably post this on the Top Tips board but I wanted to add some detail to why I was posting rather than simply write RIP and a couple of lines.

My mum has read a lot of books for many years and tried to encourage me when I first developed an anxiety disorder but I didn't follow her advice however when I relapsed years later I decided to give it a try and bought my first book from Tesco on impulse.

I found that even in my really rough times, this helped sitting in the sun in my garden and trying to immerse myself. Its not always easy and sometimes it just doesn't work but its worth trying. I also do this in bed before I go to sleep and the majority of the time, this has reduced my anxiety and even relaxed me or made me feel more positive. This came much easier later on.

I have started reading Terry Pratchett's books in the last couple of years off & on inbetween my usual types and I've come to really love his style of writing so much so that I am now reading my way through them all of which I have about 20 so far and have read 8. I find it easy to immerse myself in these as they are light hearted dispite often serious plotlines and the characters, whilst often eccentric, are easy to identify with. I think this helps a great deal with anxiety as it encourages a more creative perspective to grow and being able to visualise helps further so you end up with 2 techniques in one.

RIP Sir Terry Pratchett, a truly unique individual, and thank you for providing such rich & immaginative creations that not only inspire but help provide some calm to those of us who are suffering from minds that just won't stop thinking!

DEATH has come to collect you and he has bought THE DEATH OF RATS with him and if they offer you a timer, please come back and write some more books for us! If he doesn't reach you because he is busy bringing in the corn for Miss Flitworth then there is always Reg Shoe's Fresh Start Club but don't come back as a Zombie like Windle Poons did as I wouldn't wish Sensorimotor OCD on anyone, let alone you!

Re: Terry Pratchett Rest In Peace

Hi Terry, My husband is an avid reader, but alas he has never read any of his books.
    I have just popped down stairs to ask him. He said he had the radio on last night
    and they were talking about Terry Pratchett. He said he would have a go at reading his work. Did not know he had a title.
    So glad you enjoyed his writing

I only just found out about the passing of the wonderful Author; 'Sir Terry Pratchett'.
    When I had my Bookshop, his books were extremely popular and I know he had a Huge Fan Club and I think he was writing up to the very end. A great talent gone too soon.

Yeah, I believe he decided to write his final book last year. He said it was a great comfort to him but I guess as early onset alzheimers started to take him, it would have become harder and very upsetting for someone like him (well everyone really). I wasn't sure I would like them as I was more into greeks, vikings, and generally lots of axes in heads, but I did.

He's been around a long time and sold, I think, over 70 million copies. In his genre Rowling sold more but I think she was lucky to have the films pushing a great deal of her work for her.

Magic, if your husband enjoys something with eccentric characters that satirically takes a pop at modern culture and the human condition then he will enjoy them!

'Rowling', was extremely lucky. She was turned down by many major Publishers.
    I think the PR was responsible for her Fame and Fortune, but I will stick with C.S. Lewis who covered most aspects of Magic and Fantasy well before she did!
    (Sorry, not a 'Rowling' Fan).
    Saying that though, When her 'Books' came out on sale, we opened the shop at midnight and we had a queue of 'Hundreds' of people waiting to get their hands on the latest 'Harry Potter' Book.

It was only because of the amount of money ploughed into the films that any of that happened or she would have been just on the book shelves with all the other authors. Her move into more adult novels seems to have pushed her a bit further back down the chain...she's lost her following really. (well, until they grow up that is!).

I preferred the earlier films if I'm honest because later on things start to have some holes in.

She's not in the same class as Terry Pratchett. Her writing is kind of generic to fantasy work.

Great post, Terry.

I disagree on your views on JK Rowling. But that is fine as art / literature is very subjective.

I believe that as a single Mum, entrenched in poverty, with a history of family dysfunction & depression, JK Rowling is to be commended for her achievements. I empathise with her struggles as a fellow sufferer of mental distress. I think that people often forget this aspect of her life when dismissing her.

I have never read or seen any of the Harry Potter series. But her first work of adult fiction 'The Casual Vacancy' was a work of genius. She deserves all of the success that she currently enjoys.

Terry Pratchett had many qualities that deserved respect and admiration. However, his background was much more privileged and his path much easier, until his latter years.

He is gone too soon & will be missed.

RIP Terry.

Thread Information