Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice required asap

Advice required asap

I started venlafaxine 37.5 and took that for 2 weeks, now I'm on 75mg per day and been taking that for 12 days.

I have 8 weeks of failed citalopram treatment prior to this.

I have experienced little relief so far from the venlafaxine and I'm in a state because I'm still not able to work due to my state of mind and all the anxiety I'm currently experiencing.

Can anyone advise what I should do? Stick to this dose? Go up more? Scrap it altogether ?

This is extremely frustrating, there doesn't seem to be a way out at the minute other than just burying my head underneath the cover

Re: Advice required asap

Hi sorry your having a bad time, you need to stick to 75mg for longer I would say, 12 days is nothing. Maybe review it at 6-8 weeks? Gav

Gav's right. As with a lot of antidepressants, venlaxafine takes a while to get going. I only had transient relief in the first couple of months, but at 6 weeks I really began to notice improvements in clarity of thinking. It also helped a great deal to accept and understand the fact that the majority of our serotonin receptors are in our gut, and the drug pinging off of these can mimic anxiety exactly. It helps immeasurably to tell myself that this is all it is, the drug settling in. Don't give up yet, once the physical side effects pass you will begin to notice more clarity and control over your thinking. 75 mg is my maintenance dose. I even noticed improvements at 12 weeks, so hang in there!

Thanks,

Because I've been depressed for this long, And the citalopram didn't work for me, I've started to think there is something else wrong with me so I had a full blood count done last week to check.

Anxiety socially at the moment is through the roof, I'm going into fight or flight all the time and my family are worried about me, they want me to get back to work soon.

It's hard to be patient after 3 long months of this type of life, worst thing that's ever happened this.

Will I experience any relief of symptoms? Will anxiety reduce?

Zaker,

I know quite a lot of people who have found venlafaxine to be a godsend, myself included. I have to agree with the others that it will take time. I saw an improvement after about 3-4 weeks but didn't get the full benefit for 3 months or so. Most people actually feel much worse for the first couple of weeks so the fact that you're not feeling like that is a good sign.

In the meantime, I would speak to your GP about some short-term help for the start-up symptoms. Perhaps some beta blockers? That's what I had and they really helped.

Trust me, venlafaxine is excellent for some people and you could be one of them - you just have to give it more time (which I know is easier said than done!).

Take care

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I have propanolol but haven't really been taking it. It doesn't feel like it does anything and I still get the anxiety feelings when in social situations.

The anxiety makes it difficult to function because it's all I'm thinking about when it's bad. I want to get to the point that I can be in the situations with a more manageable level of anxiety.

It starts when I ask myself why I am in a particular place? What's the purpose? Then I start to feel my mood dropping, then my eyes start going blurry, mind goes blank, I start to feel tired and like I want to go home and then I leave. ( this is the major reason I'm apprehensive about work, I have a responsible job and I fear at the minute, I will freeze up and not be able to rationalise my thoughts thus increasing anxiety)

Can anyone chime in with some advice? Should I look to go back? Should I wait and see if the venlafaxine starts to help a bit more? I was originally prescribed propanolol x 40mg daily- would it be beneficial to take these?

Hi I take propanalol with the venlafaxine and it helps me. It doesn't take away the mental feelings that come with anxiety ie racing thoughts but it does block adrenalin being pumped around the body and it slows your heart good if you have palpitations like I do. I just take 20mgs twice a day. Some people find they make them tired but I don't get any se from propanalol. I used to take 40mgs three times a day but gradually have reduced this.

As for work it's a difficult question and its up to how you are feeling. I too had a responsible job and lots of stress but my anxiety got so bad I could not work. I couldn't even respond to simple e mails as my brain was not functioning well at all. Like you u was convinced I had a serious medical condition I was convinced I must have a form of dementia or brain tumour as I was slurring my speech my eyes blurry my mind unable to focus and had various blood tests. My gp tried to reassure me it was anxiety but I wasn't convinced that anxiety could make me so Ill.
    I've been off work 4mths and held various meetings with work and been totally upfront about my illness and medication. Luckily I'm covered by the dda so work are making some adjustments for when I return to work.

Getting back into a routine and being with people does help people to recover but it all depends how bad your anxiety is and if you can function properly at work. I went back too soon once which was a bad idea because I only lasted 3 weeks and had to go off sick again so this time I'm going to wait until I know I'm ready.
    I hope you feel better soon I totally understand what your going through right now.
    Michelle

Thanks for your thoughts Michelle, it sounds really similar to my position right now. I can have a good day and my mind seems to be clearing and I'm able to relax (I'm relaxed at the minute, I've just had a family event and was ok speaking to people). It's how I'll respond to the pressure cooker of work. So frustrating as I've been doing the job 4 years and really enjoy it.

I don't feel like I'm going to get any better sat at home is the other issue, I seem to be dwelling more on how I'm feeling if you get me?

Like you, I have been up front with work, attended all arranged meetings and been to counselling. Ultimately though it all comes back to me (employers have been understanding of the situation but my boss has admitted he has not experienced anxiety so it makes it hard if I returned and had further problems, it's quite difficult to explain)

It's been 3 months though. Argh what do I do?

Also when it first started, it seemed to happen one day, I was fine in the am, by pm I was a wreck, couldn't contribute to discussion, make decisions etc. what if that happens again?

How long did the venlafaxine take to help for you Michelle? What dose did you take (if you don't mind me asking)?

Hi i take venlafaxine and had my dose increased to 187.5mg 6 weeks ago and only now am I feeling the benefits, im having good and bad days at the min but I know that's all part of the recovery and I'm grateful for the good days they really keep me going. Venlafaxine works as an SSRI upto 150mg and above 150mg it kicks into a SRNI, give it another week and then see your Gp and maybe think about an increase. Good luck XX

Wow that's much higher than my dose,

How long did you wait on 75 before you increased?

I'm seeing the doctor again in the morning, I have no idea what the outcome will be, I was planning on asking to stay on the same dose and get some more propanolol. What does everyone think?

The anxiety sucks pretty bad and I'm finding it hard to make a judgement call about returning to work. As I've always been anxious / shy / reserved to an extent, it's difficult to decide. Can anyone relate? Or advise?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information