Thread: medication tapering and changes

medication tapering and changes

Hello,
    I've been on prozac for 12 years for depression and anxiety, but I'm sick sick sick of the nightly sweats and broken sleep. My dr is switching me to mirtazapine, but, being afflicted by health anxiety and a history of bad withdrawal from prozac attempts, I'm a bit wary about this process. I used to be on a high dose of p to cope with my anxiety but I can't tolerate it any more, so at least this time I'm tapering from a low dose. Its been over a week at half dose and I'm more or less ok. I have had headaches, Nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness, tinnitus, irritability, sweating, and lethargy. I think I'm getting used to this half dose (every other day) now, I only feel really dizzy the morning before the due dose...and that clears up by the afternoon. I don't know why I'm telling you all this! I guess I'd like to know that others have been through this before? Also does anyone have experience of mirtazapine? How good is it for your anxiety symptoms? I don't feel too depressed at the moment, but when anxiety stops me from living my life it's pretty gloomy :(. I've already discussed with the doc who to contact in case of side effects and about what dose of valium to take in case of severe panic but I'm still after some reassurance!

Re: medication tapering and changes

Hi Sparklypickle

Great name!

wwwsurvivingantidepressants.org is a supportive forum that can offer great evidence based advice and peer support during transitions & tapering from medications. You will be made to feel very welcome and receive a lot of support there. Please do pop over and get the advice & support that you need. It has been a lifesaver for me these past few months.

Be well & be kind to yourself.

Nx

Thanks for the reply. I've had a look at that site but it looks like everyone there has had months or even years of withdrawal problems! Argh! I hope I'm not one of those unlucky people too.

as long as you come off nice and slowly you should be ok,the surviving ADs website can be a bit scary to read but their advice on tapering at no more than 10% per month is good advice

Hmm, shame im already over a week into 50% dose because I'm cross tapering...

for the record, I spoke to the wise owls at survivingantidepressants and have since been v-e-r-y slowly tapering from 10 mg, I'm now on 4.6 mg and feeling fine. I never did start mirtazapine.

Thread Information