Thread: Stomach Ulcer??? help!!!!

Stomach Ulcer??? help!!!!

Hi everyone, Ive been having a bad pain under my right rib for a while now been to GP who thought is was Gallstone so sent me for a scan which showed no Gallstones. I went back to GP who said it was IBS trapped wind. I honestly don't think this pain is IBS or trapped wind its in my upper and most of my IBS symptoms are in my lower abdomen. I was googling symptoms & mine match a stomach ulcer - I have all the same symptoms. I don't want to go back to my GP but I really do think this is what I have. I'm not sure what to do but I feel scared because ive had this for a while now & GP just says its IBS. How do they test for a ulcer is it a blood test? Thanks everyone xxxx

Re: Stomach Ulcer??? help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Summer08 View Post
    Hi everyone, Ive been having a bad pain under my right rib for a while now been to GP who thought is was Gallstone so sent me for a scan which showed no Gallstones. I went back to GP who said it was IBS trapped wind. I honestly don't think this pain is IBS or trapped wind its in my upper and most of my IBS symptoms are in my lower abdomen. I was googling symptoms & mine match a stomach ulcer - I have all the same symptoms. I don't want to go back to my GP but I really do think this is what I have. I'm not sure what to do but I feel scared because ive had this for a while now & GP just says its IBS. How do they test for a ulcer is it a blood test? Thanks everyone xxxx
    Ask for an H-Pylori blood test, this will tell you 100% either way whether there is H-Pylori present in your blood which would explain your symptoms.

Thanks I have a appointment on Monday so I shall ask for this test. What happens if it comes back positive? I'm scared because ive had this for ages & docs just say its IBS xxx

I had H.Pylori, they give you 2 different types of antibiotic for around a week, that should clear it up. Sometimes you have another test afterwards, and sometimes you don't.

The antibiotics cleared mine, but I have suffered with GERD for 12 years now so it didn't help me, I just take lots of medication for it to keep it under control.

Thanks Dazza :-) it sounds straight forward. Did they send you for a endoscopy?

I did have one a while ago, and am awaiting another due to pain, but I had no ulcer, and my pain was severe, every symptom I had told me it was an ulcer, but it wasn't, its just really bad acid pain. I think people can underestimate the amount of pain acid can cause. Due to medication I think ulcers are a lot rarer these days.

One swine with the antibiotics was it gave me thrush for a week, but that cleared up with nystatin, I think that was more horrible than the acid pain

Quote Originally Posted by Summer08 View Post
    Thanks I have a appointment on Monday so I shall ask for this test. What happens if it comes back positive? I'm scared because ive had this for ages & docs just say its IBS xxx
    Hi, if it came back positive it would strongly suggest that you have H-Pylori which is the cause behind most stomach ulcers. Your GP would probably prescribe a proton pump inhibitor which would reduce your symptoms and get rid of any ulcer.

Calum, if it comes back positive then it definitely is H.Pylori, there is a specific blood test for it. The 2 different antibiotics clear it out of your system, so once you have taken them the H.Pylori has gone and it doesn't come back. Also if the symptoms persist you get omeprazole usually. I was prescribed Esomeprazole by a gastro at the hospital because normal omeprazole wasn't strong enough for me.

Thanks everyone I already take Lansaprozole for acid reflux but i'm still having indigestion pain. It is definitely worse with different things I eat & sometimes I don't have the pain. I shall defintely ask my GP for the blood test but I don't want to come across like i'm telling her how to do her job.

Stomach ulcer causes pain in the upper middle stomach, below the breastbone.

Gas trapped on the right upper part of the colon can cause pain in the upper right abdomen.

Gallbladder pain can occur without gallstones - it can be due to a thick bile called biliary sludge or by bile duct motility disorder.

Thread Information