Thread: Back in the mirtazipine club

Back in the mirtazipine club

Just thought it would help to post my journey back on mirtazipine.
    My last depression started back in 2009 continuing to 2010 where I came off years of citalopram and started on mirtazipine and along with a low dose of pregabalin brought me out of a very dark place. I took this combination for some time 15mg-30mg mirt for a while then back to 15mg before eventually becoming very stable for around 18 months + on 7.5mg of mirt along with 50mg pregabalin...so why did I then think I would be ok and weaned myself completely off the meds???
    How wrong I was!! I was ok for around 3 months but found I had awful insomnia...at first this was manageable. I would wake 3-3.30 am sometimes 4.40 if lucky but have to get up and keep busy but felt at peace...until last Friday...I woke up and found the depression symptoms creeeping in and on Saturday on waking BOOM it was all back!!
    The feelings just really escilated and I have found myself back to square one.
    So im back on 15mg of mirt for now, tonight will be my 3rd dose. I am still trying to carry on going to work as for me its the distraction that is key...if I sit here at home I just feel simply dreadful for most of the day whereas the work takes my mind off it...if that makes sense...even though it is difficult at times.
    Roll on better days again!!!
    JO.x

Re: Back in the mirtazipine club

Hi Jo,

Good luck with the mirtazapine this time round. I can understand you wanting to be free of meds, but it's no weakness to take them if necessary.

Hi Hanshan

Thanks for replying..I am slowly getting there...I am glad I took action when I did or I am sure I would be in a much worse place. I lost 4 stone in weight last year following Slimming World and am going to do my best to make sure I dont gain weight with mirtazipine again, this being the main reason I really didnt want to go back on it but I guess I managed to lose it whilst on a low dose so it can be done.

Hope you are in a good place.
    Jo.x

Hi Jo,

I'm in a good place right now, but that will all end in about two weeks time when teaching starts up again here.

I've managed to either lose weight or keep it stable over the past two and a half years while taking mirtazapine. It does require a bit of effort and vigilance, but it's not impossible or onerous. Anyway, again my best wishes.

Thread Information