Thread: depression group course NHS

depression group course NHS

So the NHS has taken over 4 month and I've still got to wait another month to start some form of therapy. I've been registered to a group depression course. I'm not really sure what it involves, but it lasts 6 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone had done anything similar and could share some info on it?

Re: depression group course NHS

I have just googled for you and found a group depression couse at the Maudsley (I know it isn't the same place/course etc) but it says this..

The group will involve:

• Learning strategies to help break through your struggle with anxiety and depression
    • Helping you refocus on your values and challenge what gets in the way of change
    • Setting personal goals and working towards them
    • Practising exercises or activities about how you think and behave
    • An introduction to some mindfulness exercisesSupport and guidance from group facilitators
    • Provision of self-help materials for you to use between meetings

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Ahh thank you, it sounds like it might benifit me. The only part I feel a bit awkward with is how its a group session. I have been told I would be forced to say anything which is good, I'm guessing that the majority of people who attend these sessions will be worrying over the fact you will meet other people.

Hopefully I can meet someone who is similar age to me, I think that would help. I haven't had much help in the form of therapy, so anything I can get access to I'm willing to try. It would be interesting to hear how others have found group sessions..

My new doseage of mirtazapine is starting to take effect so with this added on hopefully I can get some sort of stability in my life.

as you say I think all of the people in the group will be feeling like you, because it is what they are there for too.

Go to it with an open mind and take from it all you can and yeah if you meet someone similar to you there then that is a bonus and maybe you could help each other

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

I did a group cbt course for 12 weeks ,after a few weeks and some tears and hardship everybody came out of their shell and it was really good therapy.I came out of every session smiling so it must have been good,go you will benefit greatly from it
    Last edited by MrAndy; 24-03-15 at 13:31.

Yeah it seems you have to be open minded about all your options when it comes to depression. For years I have only ever used medication to tackle it, but that has only brought a limited amount of success and most of the time I slip back in to that bad place. Just a week ago I was in probably one of my darkest places.

I'm hoping in the future people with depression will not have to wait as long as I have for help. The NHS is great but considering I asked for further help in November so I could try and scrape by and pass my degree. However this isnt the case anymore, tomorrow i'm going in to talk to my course leader about my options but I feel she is probably losing her patience with me. Part of me doesnt even care anymore.. but I know I will regret it if I dont pass.

MrAndy, Did you learn many coping methods? This is one thing i've never been taught, how to cope! Even when I had a one to one session with a counsellor I felt they never really understood what help I was after (Which is why I didnt attend very long). Part is probably my fault I always forget to mention something when I go to see someone about my depression and anxiety.

Fingers crossed this might be that extra support I needed, considering I have a very difficult time speaking to friends and family about my problems.

Quote Originally Posted by A Nervous Nigel View Post

MrAndy, Did you learn many coping methods? This is one thing i've never been taught, how to cope! Even when I had a one to one session with a counsellor I felt they never really understood what help I was after (Which is why I didnt attend very long). Part is probably my fault I always forget to mention something when I go to see someone about my depression and anxiety.

Fingers crossed this might be that extra support I needed, considering I have a very difficult time speaking to friends and family about my problems.
    Yes we were taught coping methods and how to deal with anxiety and depression .It was based around CBT but it was also an open forum where we could discuss what we wanted and to get things off our chest.Most people wanted to discuss why or how they became ill,it seems we need reassurance in this area.I really enjoyed being part of a group with like minded people it sort of broke down any barriers because we all understood each other.
    I hope its what you need but go along anyhow and give it your best shot

I agree, go for it. At worst, you don't continue and ask for another solution.

Group therapy seems to be getting pushed more now and I think it can be a very good idea unless you are treatment resistant and need something more individual (or if its an issue that is difficult to discuss e.g. abuse, POCD, etc).

I used to attend group walk-ins and these would be open to all so there would usually be some new people there or people I had never met who were returning from before I started. You get used to this.

Honestly, group work will boost your confidence as social interaction is something we often don't get enough of and you will be on an equal footing here. Everyone will be worried at first, thats natural...or no one would need to be going to courses like this.

Thread Information