Thread: Trichotillomania

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Trichotillomania

Hi, I'm new here! I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with trichotillomania. I'm 28 and have been pulling my hair out since I was about 13.

I've had depression & anxiety most of my life, so I know the pulling goes hand-in-hand with that. I've been to numerous counsellors/hypnotherapists about my depression & anxiety, but only really mentioned the hair pulling to a few - probably out of shame I've never really spoken properly about it. My boyfriend knows about it, but apart from him I've never really told anybody about it. I think there's definitely a lot of shame that goes with pulling as it doesn't really feel like a widely recognised disorder.

I pull from all over my head, not in any specific place on my head, so it's even if that makes sense - if you saw me you probably wouldn't think I did it, but my hair used to be really thick and would take me a long time to dry, now it barely takes any time at all - I can see the difference and to me it's massive, which really affects my self-esteem.

Last year I started a chart where I would make a tally chart whenever I pulled. Whenever there were days that I didn't pull I'd draw a star. It seems very simple but it definitely worked - however I didn't keep it up and started doing it again after a month or two.

I know the most important thing is to treat the cause itself rather than treating the effect (Trich) - does that make sense? I'm just really finding it difficult to know where to go from here, because if I continue to pull it's really going to get much worse. It's really hard to imagine living a life without pulling at the moment.

Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Re: Trichotillomania

I am new here and I too have trich. Since I was about 11 years old. I'm 30 now. I feel your pain. My husband doesn't even know. I have periods where I pull really bad but it never really goes away. My hair is way thinner now but I'm not bald anywhere somehow. I'm going through a lot of anxiety right now and have be at it pretty hard lately. It really is aweful :(

Thread Information