Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else always have either constipation or diarrhea?!

Anyone else always have either constipation or diarrhea?!

I have IBS and was diagnosed with it years ago after having tests done to rule out Crohn's Disease as that runs in my family and I have noticed especially nowadays I only ever seem to have constipation or diarrhea, very rarely a normal poop. Its usually diarrhea mainly. It has been quite a stressful time lately which wouldn't help.

Anyone else like this?
    Last edited by GingerFish; 25-03-15 at 09:03.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Re: Anyone else always have either constipation or diarrhea?!

Yes!!!!! Me!!! It's either one or the other never normal!
    I've had it constantly for 6months and ways in the morning - I wake up crampin and gassy then I need to go toilet. I'm pretty much ok after that first episode.
    I prefer the constipation!
    Did you get a colonoscopy??

That's pretty much how my morning starting today! Woke up with cramps and farts didn't help so I knew what was coming. Feel better now though. Think I prefer having diarrhea, least it gets it all out! Both constipation and diarrhea suck though. They are so bloody painful for me.

Yeah I got a colonoscopy and a MRI scan that all came back clear. That was 6 years ago though. Maybe I'd be good getting another check up.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Have you had one or the other for 6 years?
    Do you get gassy and crampy every morning?

Yeah I've had one or the other for years though lately its mostly been diarrhea I get. For me, the diarrhea, gas and pains usually come on during the night rather than the morning or during the day. It wakes me up a lot.

Dr Claire Weekes.

Having a colonoscopy would be a good idea, if you have Crohn's in the family. In IBS, diarrhea usually occurs after meals, but you say at night and in the morning.

GingerFish, I suffered exactly like this for years, along with stomach cramps, bloating, and also heartburn and acid reflux. Even Nexium stopped helping. Did you know that IBS is really a term that only recognizes that your bowel is irritable? It doesn't reveal why, or how to resolve the underlying problem/s. Recovery is possible!

These symptoms are very much present from food allergies and sensitivities, one need not have any other obvious symptoms at all. By eliminating common foods (for one month) that are behind food sensitivities in some people, and then systematically reintroducing each one, you can nail down which, if any, are behind your IBS. For me, they are soy (and believe me, it's in almost all processed food), dairy, particularly certain cheeses, and to an extent, gluten (extremely constipating).

My IBS was absolutely cyclical, x number of days of diarrhea followed immediately by x number of days of constipation. Repeat. By eliminating these 3 foods from my diet all my IBS symptoms have resolved, my breathing has improved, and I have more energy as well.

I suggest you try an elimination diet, there are tons online, it's only for a month at most, and can make all the difference! A couple of cautions: no alcohol and no caffeine as it won't work properly if you drink these. I weaned myself off caffeine within the first week to week-and-a-half by drinking teas that were more and more caffeine-reduced until it was plain herbal or caffeine free black and green teas. Whole foods are the order of the day, wild-caught fish, organic meats and no deli or sandwich meats. Fresh fruits and vegetables. You will want to avoid certain vegetables raw, especially cruciferous and nightshades like spinach or kale to give your digestion a rest. Some elimination diets avoid potatoes to keep the diet low-glycemic. Eat white rice, but not the instant kind, and oats that are gluten-free. Nut milks are good for topping cooked oats, sugar-free flavoured kinds are available and a bit of agave syrup is nice on them as well.

Basically, by rigidly following the diet you will have cleansed your system of most irritants and toxins, and should start to feel way better by mid-way through. My doctor insisted that I not take OTC preparations for heartburn etc., but rather rely on Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar for bouts with this. I use about 2 tablespoons of this plus honey, add an ounce or two of water and then stir briskly after dropping in about 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. I call it my "gin fizz" and it breaks the gas up quickly and a quick walk around the house disperses it. The effect is immediate and just as good as the OTCs. Repeat as needed.

Most important foods to eliminate are soy, dairy, sugar (creates acid reflux in some people) gluten, corn in any form and legumes. You will need to completely avoid processed and packaged foods, including most bottled salad dressings and sauces, but you can make your own with citrus juices and olive oil. A small amount of agave syrup was allowed, as were small amounts of butter (better than any processed fats like margarine.)

At the end of 30 days, allow each reintroduced food at least 3 days on its own before proceeding with the next and write down any changes. I used the purest and strongest form, soy milk for example, then real cheddar cheese. Return of the bowel symptoms was immediate and undeniable, so I knew I had my chief two culprits right there! Gluten was less obvious. I could handle wheat pasta fine, but have since found that when I eat bread every day or pasta up to twice a week, constipation follows. Upper respiratory issues return. So I only treat myself with bread or pasta very occasionally.

I really encourage you to try this kind of plan for yourself. Whereas I had been on a prescription acid blocker that was reducing my vitamin and minerals absorption for 4 years, I am now off of this and able to control my symptoms with diet. Rarely do I get stomach upset that requires OTC preparations that go unresolved with "gin fizzes", prunes, or bananas (depending .
    Good luck!
    Marie
    Last edited by SADnomore; 08-04-15 at 04:09.

i get the dreaded D every time i have a panic and this can be for something so simple as something in my eye or even a splinter i don't knwo why it just affects me lol

"There are few food allergens that cause antigen/antibody reactions - shellfish and peanuts are perhaps the best known, indeed some food intolerance sufferers have no classical allergies and for this reason may never suspect that their arthritis, migraine or panic attacks are caused by an unusual reaction to common foods. People allergic to the same food may have entirely different symptoms, just as people with the same symptoms may be allergic to quite different foods.
    Symptoms of food intolerance can be surprisingly varied. Catarrh, digestive and stomach trouble, backache, swollen glands, depression, anxiety attacks and phobias, palpitations, irritability, headaches, mouth ulcers, aching joints and muscles, childhood hyperactivity are all possible, as well as more serious conditions."
    The British Institute for Allergy and Environmental Therapies.
    http://www.allergy.org.uk/food_allergy.htm

From a list of topics listed on this home page, left:
    http://www.allergy.org.uk/irritable_bowel.htm
    Last edited by SADnomore; 08-04-15 at 04:07.

I always say to my boyfriend that he never has to ask me how I am, he just has to look at the what is in the toilet. My emotions seem to come out my bowel instead of my face! Its a nuisance but I'm going back to my GP this week to see about what meds are available for IBS.

Dr Claire Weekes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information