Thread: *NEED ADVICE* IBS & Work..

*NEED ADVICE* IBS & Work..

I've just been diagnosed with IBS, yesterday. I've had blood tests, colonoscopy and a gastroscopy (with biopsies) and the doctors are certain it is IBS. I am 19.

I just wanted advice from other sufferers on how to cope with work, my IBS is chronic constipation, but I feel nauseated and in pain almost constantly. So I'm afraid to start working again as I have to be nearby a hot kitchen with minimal water breaks and I can't really make 'healthy' food.

Re: *NEED ADVICE* IBS & Work..

Hi,
    I can feel your pain, any health condition makes working harder. With something like IBS it is a condition that can be managed through diet/ stress relief/ plenty of water particularly with constipation. So because your job doesn't normally allow you to do this I would first see if it is possible to make exceptions because of your health. Talk to your manager and explain the situation that you need water breaks.
    The food issue could be solved by bringing in your own food if this is possible?
    The heat issue I don't know how you'd get around that which makes me wonder if although extreme it may be your best option to look for another job?
    sorry I can't be of further help, perhaps you could go to your local citizens advice bureau for advice on where you stand lawfully given that IBS is a disability so it may be that your workplace have to make reasonable adjustments for you.
    Hope it works out X

Thread Information