Thread: Starting therapy next week

Starting therapy next week

Next week I'm seeing someone for the initial meeting to set up counselling. I'm just wondering how I can get the best out of the sessions. I'm currently living with my mum away from home so I'm wanting to get well enough to return home and I can continue with therapy long term if needed but these initial sessions, hows best to approach it?.

I don't deal with when asked things like "and how does that make you feel" especially when I've just tried to explain it in the most articulate way I can think of, so I know this is going to be an issue for me. I don't know if there will be a delay between this first meeting and the rest of the sessions. Also how many sessions do you usually get on the NHS?.

Re: Starting therapy next week

The number of sessions is usually determined on the type of therapy that they feel you will be most suited too. Usually between 6 and 16 weeks depending on the therapy. Be as honest as you can about how you are. It may help to write things down before you go.

I'd set your intentions with the counselor from the start. Let him/her know that your goal is to be able to return home, so that way the counselor can tailor your treatment plan with your goal in mind. Then maybe they can help you transition to another counselor once you are able to go back home.

Thanks guys for your replies. Today one of my best friends lost his fiancee to cancer and I feel totally hopeless cos I can't help myself never mind him. Maybe I need to address this in the sessions. My anger at being trapped in this situation and having to leave my home in London for 7 months.

Ok so I'm totally lost now. I saw someone today for the assessment and he said it would be at least 5 months before I could start therapy. I knew there would be a waiting list but as my psychiatrist referred me I was hoping it wouldn't be that long. Now I have no idea what to do, whether to stay up here or try go back to London eventho deep down I know I'm still not ready. I guess I'm gonna have to pay for private counselling.

The waiting list times are shocking in some areas :(

I've found a low cost counsellor in my area I'm currently living in. I am going to contact after Easter. Will they be able to give me some strategies for returning back to London and then I can look into more therapy there?. I still have a room in a house in London but been staying with my mum whilst I've been going through this.

Thread Information