Thread: Worried i have colon cancer... Could it be IBS?

Worried i have colon cancer... Could it be IBS?

I've always had weird bowel habbits, never feeling empty, constipation to diarrhea, big stool, narrow stool. And for the last few months i've had a pain in my lower left side kinda that whole area front the back to the front of the hip. Also some groin pain. And i thought i noticed some small specs of blood on my stool. They gave me a Fecal Occult Blood Test cause if you had colon cancer it bleeds do that would come back positive. Well it came back negative and that made me feel great for a few days. Then i read online that that test isn't any good and misses blood all the time. The pain doesn't come to colon cancer till its at a advanced stage and i'm worried its grown and i'm going to die.

Re: Worried i have colon cancer... Could it be IBS?

Anyone? I just want to know of this could be ibs!!!! I'm quite worries!!

How old are you? Colon cancer before 50 is rare.

Blood in stool is actually one of the early symptoms, often the only early symptom. Not all colon cancers bleed and they are other more common causes of blood in stool, such as hemorrhoids.

So neither having or not having blood in stool tells much about colon cancer. If you are over 50 and concerned you may ask a doctor to arrange you an appointment with gastroenterologist to have a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy - this is the only way to diagnose colon cancer.

i'm 31, and after this morning bowel moment no question there is blood mixed into stool. Just small amount. It almost looks like it's clotted. I'm really freaking out right now, full blown anxiety attack.
    Last edited by stoop14; 04-04-15 at 15:48.

200 views and 1 reply, that doesn't make me feel better :(

Anyone els? Besides the blood could it be ibs?

At age 31, colon cancer is extremely unlikely.

If the "blood clot" is black it arises from the stomach or esophagus (because stomach acid turns red blood into black) and if it is red it is from the small or large intestine.

By far the most common cause of blood in the stool are hemorrhoids, but it could be also diverticulosis or inflammation. I, by no means, can guess what it is; it is an endoscopy that can reveal all.

Hello!

I have an auto-immune disease called ulcerative colitis that causes pains in the area you described, the end of colitis, and also deeper in, in the right side and under the ribs. It causes an inflammation that opens wounds that bleed, sometimes alot. It is not curable but in most cases can be controlled with medication.

It is very important to get yourself checked as soon as possible, as this kind of problems are easier to handle is found early. My own symptoms started also around the age 30.

As others have said, colon cancer under 50 is very rare so try not to think the worst. Bleeding can be caused by all sorts of things. Is the blood bright red or dark and mixed into the stool? When dark I think that's a sign of something more internal whilst bright red is usually more superficial and caused by straining etc.

However I have learnt with health anxiety that no amount of internet research or posting on forums will help. In fact it can make it worse. I know it's embarrassing (I've been there) but you need to see a doctor to put my mind at ease. I went and was diagnosed with hemorrhoids. Horribly embarrassing but made me feel so much better afterwards. They see it all the time so please just go and get some professional advice and reassurance.

Hi,

Left side pain is often diverticulitis and this can cause bleeding though not always. Hope you get an appointment with your GP soon.

Thread Information