Thread: If your sinus's hurt, does it automatically mean sinus infection?

If your sinus's hurt, does it automatically mean sinus infection?

I've been feeling rotten for about a week or so now. And basically, I just don't know what to do. I went the doctors twice last week. First, I saw the nurse and she looked in my ears (cause I've had bad ear pain) and she said nothing was there. So I asked could it be sinusitis because I'm getting the occasional pain in my face. And she said no. So I trotted off back home and the next day it got worse so, I went to see the doctor a day after. And he looked in my ear again, also saw nothing and he said let me look in your throat. And he said it's tonsillitis. I've been on penicillin since Friday and I honestly don't feel any different and I don't even feel like I have tonsillitis! I looked beforehand and no white spots but he said I have white spots at the back

But tonsil wise I honestly feel fine :/ my sinus symptoms have got worse like it's all hurting up the back of my head, ear pressure and also pains on my face and behind my eyes :/ I'm fed up of going the doctors so I'm unsure as to what to do right now. I've had sinus problems in the past, but, never sinusitis.

What would you recommend me to do? Any advice would be great.

Re: If your sinus's hurt, does it automatically mean sinus infection?

What if you went to the doctor? A mental health doctor. You said yourself you're tired of running to the medical doctor all the time. Seeing a therapist would do wonders for you, you wouldn't be embarrassed and would be helping yourself... and btw... advice is only helpful if you listen to it

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    What if you went to the doctor? A mental health doctor. You said yourself you're tired of running to the medical doctor all the time. Seeing a therapist would do wonders for you, you wouldn't be embarrassed and would be helping yourself... and btw... advice is only helpful if you listen to it

Positive thoughts
    I already see a therapist Which isn't exactly helping me..

Quote Originally Posted by little.miss.worry View Post
    I already see a therapist Which isn't exactly helping me..
    It certainly has to be more effective than an internet forum. The question is then... "Why?" I've personally found that therapy is a two way street. One has to make a concerted effort. I'm not saying you're not but your tenure here would seem to point that way.

You're my daughter's age. She's in college. She suffers from anxiety and depression. Therapy and meds have really helped her but I know for a fact she busts her ass to keep the dragon at bay.

I hope you feel better and find some relief.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It certainly has to be more effective than an internet forum. The question is then... "Why?" I've personally found that therapy is a two way street. One has to make a concerted effort. I'm not saying you're not but your tenure here would seem to point that way.

You're my daughter's age. She's in college. She suffers from anxiety and depression. Therapy and meds have really helped her but I know for a fact she busts her ass to keep the dragon at bay.

Positive thoughts
    I've been to therapy, twice before the one i'm going too now. As in, I went when I was 14 for a year, helped loads, didn't have anxiety for a year, went again when I was 16 because of a relapse, saw the therapist for a year fine for a year, and what a surprise, 18 and i'm back to sqaure one. I've been trying my best for 5 years now. Nothing is seeming to help me anymore. I've done everything the therapist asks of me and I see no improvement. So I am trying and I have been trying.

And thanks

Positive thoughts
    Another key point about the importance of therapy is that it is a core requirement of a counsellor/therapist to remain non judgemental. Where clients do not do enough, there is no blame element because that would be against the codes of ethics these people tend to be signed onto. Blame leads to guilt, and why add further negatives?

I think the OP's therapist will be able to make a better judgement of what needs to be done or changed based on their medical history, as opposed to the date the joined a webforum, how many times they post, etc.

Besides, we are not talking about something that is simple. There are so many elements to consider, comorbidities (it may not only be HA), personal attributes, environmental factors, etc and then there is the therapist themselves as they are not all made equal plus we have to factor in the NHS overhere and how they are quite rigid with the need for CBT even if they know it won't work as they service that can provide dynamic therapies is badly provided for and CBT has stepped in via the IAPT service which has been inserted into the gap between the GP and psychiatric services side.

This is why we have to establish the facts, not assume.

---------- Post added at 08:01 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by little.miss.worry View Post
    I've been feeling rotten for about a week or so now. And basically, I just don't know what to do. I went the doctors twice last week. First, I saw the nurse and she looked in my ears (cause I've had bad ear pain) and she said nothing was there. So I asked could it be sinusitis because I'm getting the occasional pain in my face. And she said no. So I trotted off back home and the next day it got worse so, I went to see the doctor a day after. And he looked in my ear again, also saw nothing and he said let me look in your throat. And he said it's tonsillitis. I've been on penicillin since Friday and I honestly don't feel any different and I don't even feel like I have tonsillitis! I looked beforehand and no white spots but he said I have white spots at the back

But tonsil wise I honestly feel fine :/ my sinus symptoms have got worse like it's all hurting up the back of my head, ear pressure and also pains on my face and behind my eyes :/ I'm fed up of going the doctors so I'm unsure as to what to do right now. I've had sinus problems in the past, but, never sinusitis.

What would you recommend me to do? Any advice would be great.
    Your GP would be able to look further down your throat, so I would trust their opinion on that. Tonsilitis is very very common so GP's see it a lot so should be able to make an accurate diagnosis quite easily. It does highlight why you should always see the GP, not a nurse.

Its early days on the medication yet. If you had an infection and were prescribed antibiotics, it would normally take a few days before you noticed anything as they work by halting the infection first and then you notice a marked improvement after that as any pain fades quickly. Perhaps its the same with penicillin? I haven't taken it since I was a child, so I can't say but I think you should give it some time first and then go back because you may need something stronger.

So, see how it goes, accept for now that you have a diagnosis and some treatment. Then go back if you see no improvement within maybe a week?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Another key point about the importance of therapy is that it is a core requirement of a counsellor/therapist to remain non judgemental. Where clients do not do enough, there is no blame element because that would be against the codes of ethics these people tend to be signed onto. Blame leads to guilt, and why add further negatives?

I think the OP's therapist will be able to make a better judgement of what needs to be done or changed based on their medical history, as opposed to the date the joined a webforum, how many times they post, etc.

Besides, we are not talking about something that is simple. There are so many elements to consider, comorbidities (it may not only be HA), personal attributes, environmental factors, etc and then there is the therapist themselves as they are not all made equal plus we have to factor in the NHS overhere and how they are quite rigid with the need for CBT even if they know it won't work as they service that can provide dynamic therapies is badly provided for and CBT has stepped in via the IAPT service which has been inserted into the gap between the GP and psychiatric services side.

This is why we have to establish the facts, not assume.

---------- Post added at 08:01 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

Your GP would be able to look further down your throat, so I would trust their opinion on that. Tonsilitis is very very common so GP's see it a lot so should be able to make an accurate diagnosis quite easily. It does highlight why you should always see the GP, not a nurse.

Its early days on the medication yet. If you had an infection and were prescribed antibiotics, it would normally take a few days before you noticed anything as they work by halting the infection first and then you notice a marked improvement after that as any pain fades quickly. Perhaps its the same with penicillin? I haven't taken it since I was a child, so I can't say but I think you should give it some time first and then go back because you may need something stronger.

So, see how it goes, accept for now that you have a diagnosis and some treatment. Then go back if you see no improvement within maybe a week?
    Hi Terry, I agree with you what my therapist is trying to do is find the best possible route for me to go down to get better. We've tried a few which haven't worked but I'm determined to try everything in order to become myself again. As you said, you can't exactly judge on what needs to be done with my from when I joined and what and when I post etc.

Also, I thought I'd give it until I was finished with my medication. I just got a little worked up last night and I'm not sure why. That's why I posted on here for advice. But yes, I agree with you again. I'm just going to have to see how it goes. And if I don't feel any better, go back. It's the only thing I can do really.

But thank you for giving me some advice. It's greatly appreciated

Thread Information