Thread: Is this IBS?

Is this IBS?

I've written a post previously about my fear of having pancreatic cancer. Well, I've had blood tests & an abdominal ultrasound and both came back clear. Assuming that means nothing sinister is going on, I wondered if there was anyone with experience of IBS who recognises my ongoing symptoms? I have:

Ache down left side- it can range right up to shoulder blade and right down to hip/groin, and everything in between.
    Sharp spasm pains in lower rib area front and back. Mostly on left side but can also be on right.
    Fleeting needle like pains all over left side (sometimes right) and even random sharp fleeting pains in neck or armpit.
    Soft stools (although not loose like diarrhoea)

All of the above symptoms are intermittant. The pain is not severe- I don't need to take painkillers for it, but i am definitely aware it is there. I can go several days without getting any then it will flare up again. I've had a really good handle on my anxiety lately so I know it can't be 100% due to anxiety. Could it be IBS? I always assumed IBS involved cramping in area below the belly button but I haven't had that.

Any replies gratefully received. Thanks

Re: Is this IBS?

If the onset of pain is related to onset of soft stools, then it's probably from the bowel.

Gas in your large intestine can press upon your diaphragm and causes referred pain into your chest toward the shoulder blade. Also, I don't know what could cause cramps on the left side, beside intestine. Spleen pain and kidney stones pain do not usually appear as cramps.

IBS pain can appear anywhere in the abdomen and pain below ribs is actually common in IBS. I can't say is it IBS or not in your case...

Thread Information