Thread: Is plane travel really as bad as I imagine?

Is plane travel really as bad as I imagine?

When you say to someone you are scared of travelling they automatically presume you are scared of the plane crashing and go on about how safe air travel is, I am not scared of it for that reason, its the being in an enclosed space unable to leave that gets me. Being packed in that small space full of people sounds like my idea of hell. What if I go mad and make a show of myself? I'm 35 now and always avoid it for this reason, I suffer the same on buses which is why I avoid them also, 10 mins or more and I start to get panicky.

Is it really as bad as I think?

Re: Is plane travel really as bad as I imagine?

I have flown a number of times and I do not like it, but is it that bad? Nope.

My problem is the lack of control *I* have when on a plane, ie I am putting myself in the care of the people flying it, so am out of control so to speak.

That's a big issue for me, also I have had my fair share of turbulence at times, some of it really bad, which did scare me, but its a natural thing that happens on occasion, so although not nice, its not gonna kill me, I just don't like it.

If you are worrying and want to fly somewhere nice, then ask the doctor for a couple of diazepam just for the flight, it will calm you down a lot and should help you.

I'm flying abroad this Sunday. Personally I'm not anxious about it BUT I HAVE thought of it from the perspective you are seeing it from.
    I think I felt a lot more anxiety at that particular time and of course your mind can rush around looking at things from these scary perspectives then once you think of it from that angle it can spook you. But that's not the only way to see flying on a plane.

You're trapped inside the plane ? Would you sooner be outside of it ? Surely the best place to be is inside that amazing object that has been built, with the very latest in technology, to fly you safely and in comfort rapidly anywhere you want.
    They tell you they have it all under control and all you have to do is turn up, sit down in your comfy seat and listen, watch, read anything that entertains you whilst they whisk you off to an exciting place. If you need the toilet there's one there, there and there. If you need anything there will be helpful, trained people walking past all the time to attend to your every need.

And if you look out the window you can enjoy what must be one of the most outrageous experiences we get to see, looking down at the earth, cities, lakes, from above the clouds.

It's whatever way you want to see it. If like me you are prone to focus on the anxious perspective, you should recognise how important it is to choose to see it from a more enjoyable, productive perspective and to not allow yourself to dwell on those anxious perspectives.

You can change everything at any time by controlling how you see it. It can be very empowering. Choose how you want to see flying but make it work for you, and it will.

You won't go mad Samtheman. Your worries seem to stem down to panicking about panicking. You can get on board with some good techniques to help you cope. Perhaps take a short flight first?

I don't like it at all. Like you I worry about not being able to get out but when I'm on board that feeling does go away, I try to mainly distract myself with music and books. Trying to keep the panic in check before it escalates out of control. Breathing is great for that.

This sounds like me. I too am scared of being confined on a plane and not being able to do anything if I go mad! The planes aren't that bad. I have been on them and once on there I am relatively calm but don't think I would be able to do long haul again until after I have had therapy!

Thread Information