Thread: Worried about ALS- What could this be?

Worried about ALS- What could this be?

Hi guys,
    I am a 23 year old female university student who has suffered from anxiety for my entire life.

I am deeply afraid of developing ALS, understandably, it is the scariest disease ever.

Since about August I have had aching in my fingers and hands along with stiffness, I also have this in my jaw but my doctor said this is TMJ. These symptoms all began when I was going through a stressful period since I was fearing colon cancer (turned out I had colitis- yay)

About two months ago, I developed twitching EVERYWHERE - since then my symptoms have gotten worse, I have aching in arms, wrists, hands, fingers on and off. I have also begun to experience aching and stiffness in my legs and arms.

Does anyone else have this? Can anyone relate?
    I will be getting an EMG and seeing a neurologist in a month but I am very nervous.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

xx

Lilly

Re: Worried about ALS- What could this be?

Hi Lilly,

I had all of these symptoms and more. At one stage, the pain and stiffness in my hands was so bad I worried that I'd be unable to continue working. Turned out that a lot of it was posture related. Physical therapy and exercise helped, though I think that HA played a big part. I've had no problems with this in quite a while.

The twitching is classic HA. I have also had this... fingers, legs, arms, eyes, face - you name it. Once you accept that its anxiety related, wait and see how quick it disappears!

Good luck with the EMG and neurologist. It will be fine.

Hi Mel,

Thank you for your response, it is comforting and reassuring! Were you ever scared by your symptoms? Did you see a neurologist?

I had no idea anxiety could cause such intense symptoms.

It could be micoplasma arthritis, a bug we all carry that gets away and has free run during periods of stress. To rule it out have two lab tests done. ESR and CBC. You don't want it. It isn't contagious, just ruins your life. More information on the Road Back Foundation site.

Hi Davit,

Isn't that for pigs and other animals? sounds rare and odd...

Lilly I just want to send you a big hug and tell you I know how you feel. I know nothing anybody says will make you think otherwise right now but your symptoms sound like anxiety to me.
    4 years ago I was fearing the same thing as you. I had every single symptom you are feeling. I didn't believe anybody. Even when the neurologist cleared me after a clean EMG I still didn't believe. I was so hysterical and non functional it was aweful. I had to be put on Klonopin and Lexapro in combination both at high dose. I am married with 2 children...being medicated like that is very hard when you have a family to take care of.
    I got off of the meds after a year with many withdrawl symptoms. I should have taken CBT back then but I didn't. Now my HA is back and I am on low dose of Lexapro but also going to CBT. Now I am going to have to try to get off of the medicine again and it will be hard.
    My advice to you is to seek CBT before you get put on medication.
    I still have twitching. All over. Not as bad as I did when I was completely focused on it but it is still there.
    Let me also say, from what I understand, pain is not associated with ALS. Twitching is a late symptom of the disease and it isn't widespread. I don't want to get into all of the real symptoms of the disease because it will be of no help to you. You do not have any of the main hallmark symptoms. Stay away from google. Try the free CBT course that is offered on this forum. Drink some camomile tea and get some sleep.

Thanks Everyone,

My legs now feel like they are stiff and easily tired as with my arms.... I can't seem to fight this feeling that something is wrong.... but I am trying very hard to believe this is anxiety. My boyfriend and I are going to start running, I am hoping exercising will prove to me that I am still healthy and capable.

Has anyone felt this way do to anxiety?

Hi Lily,

Exercise is a GREAT idea, especially running. Its exactly what helped me get over my ALS fears - I think its very good for anxiety and stress in general. Also, be sure you get lots of sleep, and don't run every night - rest and recovery is important.

Also - yes, I did once see a neurologist. He did about 4 basic tests in the first 10 minutes (looking at a moving pen, walking in a straight line, on my tippy toes, etc) and said "you don't have ALS, you don't have MS, you're fine." Turns out he was right.

Good luck!

Thread Information